Speedo/Tach Gauge lights

More
09 Jun 2015 16:06 #675924 by Bama704
Speedo/Tach Gauge lights was created by Bama704
I could use some help in figuring out how to change out the bulbs. I have no problem changing out the dummy lights, but when I go to change the speedo and tach lights, I can not pull the rubber out of the hole without it tearing. I have tried spinning it to loosen it up first, but no luck. Any ideas here?

Also, looking to use LED bulbs from superbrightled.com, but I'm worried they may be a tad too long. They are longer than the stock bulbs for sure, but has anybody had any luck using these? www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba...#/tab/Specifications
I have attached the light specs below.

1977 KZ900
Carbs are late model 1975 28mm
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
09 Jun 2015 20:18 #675945 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights
If the rubber is that far gone they will tear no matter what you do. You might lube them to make it easier. Mine are that way too. I use silicon to seal the back in. The LED's should work. mine did. I've used taller bulbs and had no problems.
Steve

More
09 Jun 2015 21:26 #675951 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights

Bama704 wrote: I could use some help in figuring out how to change out the bulbs. I have no problem changing out the dummy lights, but when I go to change the speedo and tach lights, I can not pull the rubber out of the hole without it tearing. I have tried spinning it to loosen it up first, but no luck. Any ideas here?

Also, looking to use LED bulbs from superbrightled.com, but I'm worried they may be a tad too long. They are longer than the stock bulbs for sure, but has anybody had any luck using these? www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba...#/tab/Specifications
I have attached the light specs below.

I used these in my speedo and tach and they fit:

www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba...-power-led/958/2359/

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 Jun 2015 04:58 #675968 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights
You could try Liquid Wrench silicone spray lube, but they will still be a bear to remove & might still tear.

Here's a topic w photos & info about the superbright LEDs. Scroll down to the replies by guitargeek
Instrument panel bulbs
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bama704

More
10 Jun 2015 13:02 #676027 by Bama704
Replied by Bama704 on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights
Thanks for the suggestions, I will give it a go later this week and come back with what I did.

1977 KZ900

More
10 Jun 2015 15:43 #676045 by New 750
Replied by New 750 on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights
I have a precision driver set, I used the flat blade, mine started to tear too, insert the driver deep (past the second lip) then lightly pry, that saved mine from tearing further.

1977 kawasaki KZ750

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
10 Jun 2015 17:04 #676067 by SWest
I'll just buy new ones when I get around to it. There is a set on eBay but the guy wants too much. Also another guy has a lot of them cut off, he wants what new would cost. :angry: I'd like to reach through the screen and make him go GACK. :evil:
Steve

More
11 Jun 2015 14:48 #676202 by Bama704
Replied by Bama704 on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights
I was able to salvage two using a precision driver set, the other two were beyond saving and I had to fish them out of the housings. You think I could try using the liquid wrench silicone lube to put the rubber pieces back together, and once installed never remove again?

1977 KZ900

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
11 Jun 2015 16:13 #676212 by SWest
Silicon will work and you can remove them again.
Steve

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
More
17 Jun 2015 16:08 #677018 by 78z1Joe
Replied by 78z1Joe on topic Speedo/Tach Gauge lights

swest wrote: I'll just buy new ones when I get around to it. There is a set on eBay but the guy wants too much. Also another guy has a lot of them cut off, he wants what new would cost. :angry: I'd like to reach through the screen and make him go GACK. :evil:
Steve

Steve, I know how you feel, there are a buch of people I'd like to make go GACK, Through the screen, door , or windshield too! ...on a calmer note, what eles has anyone used LED lights for tail lamp, turnsignals, running lamps. And headlamp? I guess equal to the 1156 and 1157 bulbs of yore. Thanks Joe

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
17 Jun 2015 16:42 #677025 by SWest
I'm replacing my 1157's soon with LED's. The head light is a H4 and I can get bulbs anywhere. The LED's will take most of the drain off the system.
I was on the phone with Pay Pal for four hours being run around, dropped, etc. I got their G D Master card a year ago and used it to buy and sell. Suddenly they wanted me to verify my account to get my money. They said it will take three to five days to do it or I can give them the numbers, they will deposit a few cents twice, it should take one or two days, I'm to type in the numbers, then I can have my money, so I did the next morning. Tried to transfer to my card, it will take 2 to 3 days. WTF Went to Pay Pal Master card, found the transfer button and had my money that minute. A lot of people would have gone GACK and I would be wanted as a mass murderer.
You can't spit without hitting a scammer.
Steve