What wire connectors do you use?

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2015 12:05 #672743 by LuckyLucOnBass
What wire connectors do you use? was created by LuckyLucOnBass
The PO gutted some of the wiring from my bike. So I just picked up a new tail light and turn signals. I'm going to have to rewire all the turn signals. I bought some cool little signals that have bullet connectors. But I'm having a hard time finding the female ends for them.

What do you all use when wiring from scratch? I'm telling ya, POs really know how to mess up a groove. Ha. There's always something lurking here and there.

Thanks.
LH

bass player, bike rider, hockey fan.
1983 KZ550 M1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2015 12:52 #672751 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic What wire connectors do you use?
Those are just round brass terminals. You can find them at any auto parts store.

I use the basic connectors butI like to remove the plastic insulators and use about 1.5" of shrink tubing instead.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2015 12:57 #672752 by LuckyLucOnBass
Replied by LuckyLucOnBass on topic What wire connectors do you use?

Kidkawie wrote: Those are just round brass terminals. You can find them at any auto parts store.

I use the basic connectors butI like to remove the plastic insulators and use about 1.5" of shrink tubing instead.

I went to seven different places that have the female bullet ends. None had the right fittings. I'm going to have to cut those ends off now. But I thought the same thing about removing the plastics and using heat shrink tubing instead. Just a bummer having to cut off these bullet ends already on the wire. The bullet connectors on the new tail light fit great to 16 gauge connectors, though.

1983 KZ550 M1

More
19 May 2015 13:35 - 19 May 2015 13:38 #672757 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic What wire connectors do you use?
WAIT, WAIT - Don't cut them. Take a look at Home Depot or Lowe's or Radio Shack. They all sell male and female bullet type connectors.

Also, they can be found at:

www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Product...llet_connectors.html
and
www.hvccycle.com/electrical-connectors.html

Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 19 May 2015 13:38 by 650ed.

More
19 May 2015 13:56 - 19 May 2015 20:35 #672759 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic What wire connectors do you use?
Most of the terminals on that Eastern Beaver page are the open barrel type & require an open barrel crimper to make a proper crimp: done correctly, they are very strong. I already had a Harbor-Freight ratcheting crimper but the crimper dies were wrong, so I got an open barrel die set on amazon.com.

CycleTerminal.com sells the crimper n stuff & they have a very nice terminal pin extractor tool set with white handles.

Tin plated terminals have a higher conductivity that plain brass, so if possible those are probably recommended for at least the ignition system connections.

CycleTerminal.com --- Crimp tools

CycleTerminal.com --- terminals . 10-pack of waterproof bullet connectors at bottom

CycleTerminal.com --- connectors sets include term. pins. extra pins are handy for crimp practice

CycleTerminal.com --- how to stuff
Last edit: 19 May 2015 20:35 by martin_csr.

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2015 15:03 - 19 May 2015 15:04 #672767 by LuckyLucOnBass
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sent

650ed wrote: WAIT, WAIT - Don't cut them. Take a look at Home Depot or Lowe's or Radio Shack. They all sell male and female bullet type connectors.

Ed, I had to buy different male female bullet connectors. I couldn't find the female ends that fit the ones on the aftermarket turn signals. I bought them at True Value. Plan is to pull back the plastic cover, crimp on wires, pull plastic cover over, heat shrink on top.

The places that I couldn't find the right size ends was at True Value, O'Reillys, Radio Shack, Wal Mart, Home Depot, Advanced Auto, and Auto Zone. That's why I chose to go with a different size bullet connector.

When I visit San Antonio, I may go check out Harbor Freight for spools of wire and bulk connectors.

1983 KZ550 M1
Last edit: 19 May 2015 15:04 by LuckyLucOnBass. Reason: Spelling

More
19 May 2015 20:33 - 20 May 2015 05:32 #672801 by martin_csr
The stock terminals are the open barrel type & those connections are very strong.
I've never seen open barrel terminals at the auto parts store, walmart, HF or even radio shack.
On a motorcycle it seems like a bad idea to do crude mash crimps.
Consider getting the proper tools, terminals & connectors to make up good connections. :)
Z1Enterprises.com has the stuff. (some of it anyway).
Last edit: 20 May 2015 05:32 by martin_csr.

• LuckyLucOnBass
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 May 2015 21:55 - 19 May 2015 22:04 #672812 by LuckyLucOnBass

martin_csr wrote: Consider getting the proper tools, terminals & connectors to make up good connections. :)
Z1Enterprises.com has the stuff.

The female ends are out of stock... and have been for a while. Oh, I even checked NAPA.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...Pk&item=KS01-0002-10

Ohhh wait a minute. So the tail light and signals came with bullet type terminals. The above link is to the female bullet ends. I see what you said about the open barrel type. Z1 does have those. But again, I will have to cut off the bullet terminals.
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...Pk&item=KL34-1869-10
www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...Pk&item=KL34-6940-10

LH

1983 KZ550 M1
Last edit: 19 May 2015 22:04 by LuckyLucOnBass.

More
20 May 2015 05:05 - 20 May 2015 05:06 #672831 by martin_csr
If Z1Ent doesn't have everything, then there's CycleTerminal.com, Eastern Beaver, Oregon Motorcycle & VintageConnections.com. CycleTerminal had all the various connectors & terminal pins I needed for a low fuel switch, voltage regulator & homemade igniter, and I got spare stuff such as the waterproof bullet connector 10-pack & extra term. pins for practicing. The connectors I got are the same as stock.
Last edit: 20 May 2015 05:06 by martin_csr.

More
20 May 2015 05:13 #672833 by weales
Replied by weales on topic What wire connectors do you use?
+1 for Vintage Connections or Cycle Terminal - I have used them both for crimps an crimp tools - highly recommend them! Here in Oz we have the same trouble getting good quality crimp (open barrel or bullet) terminals and most auto shops/Radio Shack shops down under stock only those crappy red/blue/yellow mash/squash type terminals which are an insult to any half serious repairer/restorer!!!!!

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III

More
20 May 2015 06:11 - 20 May 2015 06:20 #672844 by martin_csr
Also, the crimps done properly look professional & the personal satisfaction is a plus. :)
In addition to the crimper, the terminal pin removal tools are handy for popping the pins out of the connectors --- better than fumbling around w a small screwdriver or paper clip.

Here's a good how-to-crimp page. credit to Belrix over at kawasakimotorcycle.org who provided the link for me a couple of years ago. Ratwell.com --- Wiring Harness Terminals --- by Richard Atwell

Top View
searchtagsz terminalsz
Last edit: 20 May 2015 06:20 by martin_csr.