'82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram

• Broken Spoke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
06 Jul 2006 19:44 #59793 by Broken Spoke
'82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram was created by Broken Spoke
I've almost finished rebuilding my twin, but I'm a little goofed on some of the wiring. Anybody out there have a wiring diagram for an '82 KZ750 CSR twin?:S
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2006 21:30 #59827 by steell
Replied by steell on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
Which part of the wiring are you having trouble with? Some of it is the same as the earlier twins, and I have a manual for 76-80 models.
Biggest difference in the wiring is that the 82-83 models have electronic ignition.

Post edited by: steell, at: 2006/07/07 00:31

KD9JUR

• Broken Spoke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jul 2006 08:48 #59922 by Broken Spoke
Replied by Broken Spoke on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
:blush:
Perhaps I'm not so balled up . . . then again. My whole wiring dilema comes down to the fact that I have a bunch of extra double female connections with no males to satisfy them. In the headlight assembly there's 3 sets of double females (blk w/ yellow stripe, yellow w/ blk and white w/ blue). I think the blk w/ yellow connects to the two black grounds from my headlight (ie high and low beam grounds?). Also, just to the rear of the battery, there are two more lonesome double females (white w/ blk and yellow w/black). Each of these are bundled with a white w/ blue wire. These white with blue connect to eachother. It's entirely possible that these all connect to . . . nothing, but I dunno. Lastly, there are two wires which seem to want to be grounded to the frame. One is blk w/ yellow and terminates to the frame mount bolt for the transistor igniter. The other is yellow w/ blk and comes off of the main wiring harness. It seems to want to bolt to the frame above the fuse box or on the cage for the battery.
So there's where I'm at. Everything else is ready to go vroom vroom once I'm comfortable with the wiring.:cheer:

More
07 Jul 2006 09:50 #59949 by steell
Replied by steell on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
There is only one ground for the headlight, both high and low beam use the same ground.
There is one double ground for the turn signals, and a double female that provides power for the running light elements in the turn signals. All of these are in the headlight shell. I had to hook them up when I removed a Vetter fairing from an 82 KZ750M1 to install it on a 82 KZ1000M1.
I can't recall which wire went where exactly, I used trial and error until all the lights worked :)

I'll have to find my 750 manual to see if the 80 750G has the same wires near the battery box and where they go.

KD9JUR

More
07 Jul 2006 11:50 #59985 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
Kaw is pretty consistant with the use of colors for wiring stuff. I am not at all familiar with the 750 but a 900/1000 Z or KZ will use BLACK/YELLOW only for ground. There may be either one or two grounds that are not the main ground which is typically to the engine case. The other grounds are usually on the mounting bar to the front of the battery box.

The headlight is usually red/yellow low beam, red/black high beam and black/yellow associated ground. I suggest you pop open your left hand switch gear if you need to verify the color of the headlight wires. The wires that run from the dipper switch are the wires that will connect to your headlight inside the shell. The wire that FEEDS the high and low beam wires with power is generally BLUE and comes off the ignition switch directly in more modern bikes like yours... If you have a headlight on/off switch, it may come through that switch in the right hand switchgear.

I can't recall Kaw using some of the color combos you mentioned... you mentioned yellow/black. Verify this correct or did you mean black/yellow?

There are several other common colors... brown is switch hot and is used for a variety of stuff; like the horn hot. Orange is the signal out of the flasher relay for the turn signals, Orange/green is the signal out of the aux flasher unit, etc.

Anyway, good luck. At some point, it would be great if we scanned in all wiring diagrams with corrections (some are just wrong)...

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

• Broken Spoke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Jul 2006 12:53 #60007 by Broken Spoke
wiredgeorge wrote:

I can't recall Kaw using some of the color combos you mentioned... you mentioned yellow/black. Verify this correct or did you mean black/yellow?

George,
The ground near the transitor igniter is black with a yellow stripe. The other is yellow with a black stripe, is it possible that this connects to the + battery terminal?
---Geoff

More
09 Jul 2006 19:56 #60608 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
I've got the diagram, broken spoke but I think the file is too large to post here. If you still want it send me an email and I'll send it to you. It's from the Clymers book.
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

More
10 Jul 2006 07:50 #60714 by ronjones
Replied by ronjones on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
Got your pm Geoff, the diagram is on it's way.
Good Luck
Ron

'82 KZ750 CSR, M1 twin. Mac 2-1 exhaust, K&N pods, 17tooth drive sprocket, Mikuni BS-34 carbs w/#47.5 pilot jet and #125 main jet, Canadian XS650 needlejetjet needle, Wired George's coil mod.
Barrak, Nancy and Harry says: Welcome to the United Soviet States of America, Comrades

• Broken Spoke
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Jul 2006 17:37 #60874 by Broken Spoke
Thanks,
The wire is a ground wire (for those still reading this post). It seems that Kawasaki used black with yellow and yellow with black wires interchangibly. The bike is up and running.
---BS
ps also, the extra double females are just that, extra. I got ahold of a KZ750 four manual and lots of those have the extra sets.B)

Post edited by: Broken Spoke, at: 2006/07/10 20:40

More
16 Jul 2012 17:22 #536365 by tjgonz
Replied by tjgonz on topic '82 KZ750 twin wiring diagram
Sorry know this is a 6yo post but can I get that diagram also?
Having the same problem cant even get headlight on but high voltage at all electronics maybe just have one wrong wire. PO was nice enough to label ALMOST all wires.
Thanks again!