Just installed for lights

More
15 Apr 2015 16:44 #668109 by New 750
Just installed for lights was created by New 750
I put on a set of small automotive fog lights from Walmart, they actually look really cool and retro, I installed them strictly for people being abl to see me better. But I noticed today that the bike was missing really bad until I turned the lights off (all of them) then bike ran fine, I hopped on the interstate and cruised at 80 with the lights back on and all was fine. I think today was different because I did alot of in town driving and maybe it killed my battery a little? Is it possible the bike can't handle the two extra 55watt lights? The battery is new and my charging system is putting out correct volts at idle and at 4k, however with fog lights on it is not putting out what it should at idle and just over 14 v at 4k rpm.
Will I hurt anything using the extra lights only at highway speeds? I really feel safer having those bright lights on. Thanks again.
1977 kawasaki kz750.

1977 kawasaki KZ750
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2015 17:43 #668116 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Just installed for lights
Adding a pair of extra 55watt lights in addition to running your headlight is asking an awful lot from the bike's charging system! I'm not at all surprised it cannot handle that much load at low rpm. Have you tried finding lighting that draws a lot less power?

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
15 Apr 2015 17:57 #668118 by New 750
Replied by New 750 on topic Just installed for lights
Yeah im going to scrap these lights I just hooked up the volt meter and rode around, I'm at just barely 13 volts at 6k, and with fog lights off I'm at almost 15 volts, no I have not tried any other ones I'm thinking about led fogs, don't those draw alot less?

1977 kawasaki KZ750

More
15 Apr 2015 18:14 #668119 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Just installed for lights
The superbrightled site might have some headlight LEDs. superbrightleds.com

Not sure how you wired the new lights, but the bike might have an accessory fuse box for the extra stuff. My 81 650 has one acc lead in the headlight bucket & another behind the left side cover, each with it's own 10A fuse.

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
15 Apr 2015 18:22 #668121 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic Just installed for lights

New 750 wrote: Yeah im going to scrap these lights I just hooked up the volt meter and rode around, I'm at just barely 13 volts at 6k, and with fog lights off I'm at almost 15 volts, no I have not tried any other ones I'm thinking about led fogs, don't those draw alot less?

LEDs draw incredibly less, instead of 55 watts you'd prob be looking at 5-10... Just make sure they have the highest lumens rating you can find... EBay search time!!!

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
16 Apr 2015 02:21 - 16 Apr 2015 02:24 #668161 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Just installed for lights

New 750 wrote: I put on a set of small automotive fog lights from Walmart, they actually look really cool and retro, I installed them strictly for people being abl to see me better. But I noticed today that the bike was missing really bad until I turned the lights off (all of them) then bike ran fine, I hopped on the interstate and cruised at 80 with the lights back on and all was fine. I think today was different because I did alot of in town driving and maybe it killed my battery a little? Is it possible the bike can't handle the two extra 55watt lights? The battery is new and my charging system is putting out correct volts at idle and at 4k, however with fog lights on it is not putting out what it should at idle and just over 14 v at 4k rpm.
Will I hurt anything using the extra lights only at highway speeds? I really feel safer having those bright lights on. Thanks again.
1977 kawasaki kz750.

You nailed it. The extra load was dragging your system voltage down at idle. If the bike was missing badly, you probably have a weak coil (my guess) and the reduced spark voltage showed up. I don't think the extra 110W at highway speed will hurt anything depending on how it's connected: if you are drawing too much current through a fuse or a connector it might cook it. ADD: might warm up the alternator windings?

I used to run a single 55W halogen "extra" light at night on the expressway and never cooked anything.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 16 Apr 2015 02:24 by bountyhunter.