Lost in the sauce with wiring

More
13 Apr 2015 10:50 #667787 by LivviRuss
Lost in the sauce with wiring was created by LivviRuss
My bike is a KZ 650 Bf from 1979

I took my main harness off and sent it off to a buddy of mine. Unfortunatley, they still havent sent it back and I dont have much faith in it coming back in great shape if it does. I am fine with the idea of starting off at a fresh start and purchasing a new harness for it but I have no idea where to find one! (I found one for $300, which seemed like too much, and I wasnt even sure if it was really for my bike)
My Regulator/Rectifier, I'm pretty sure, is the cause of a lot of the problems I had with the bike. I am trying to replace that part with a modern one but I'm not sure where to get one or which ones are compatible with my bike.

I really want to get this bike up and running once again. I really love the bike and only the electrical is giving me problems, so I know that once I solve that issue, she can be on the road again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2015 10:56 #667788 by LivviRuss
Replied by LivviRuss on topic Lost in the sauce with wiring
PS... If I am to build my own harness.. what wiring spools should I get for this bike?

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
13 Apr 2015 11:08 #667789 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic Lost in the sauce with wiring
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

There's one for under 50$ for your bike...

I searched "kz650 loom" on eBay and found several...

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
13 Apr 2015 12:17 #667798 by LivviRuss
Replied by LivviRuss on topic Lost in the sauce with wiring
I'm worried about quality. I would hate to buy one and have problems with it... but I guess I don't really have much of a choice in the matter

More
13 Apr 2015 12:54 - 13 Apr 2015 12:57 #667804 by Kidkawie
Replied by Kidkawie on topic Lost in the sauce with wiring

LivviRuss wrote: I'm worried about quality. I would hate to buy one and have problems with it... but I guess I don't really have much of a choice in the matter

When all else fails just go back to stock. It's not rocket science, there's different shaped connectors for specific things. When people start chopping up wires to "thin stuff out" that's when they run into problems. And in that case, you're on your own. But if everything is stock people here can help you by referring to the wiring diagram.

The biggest issue with Kawasaki wiring is you get moisture in the connectors. So if your having some electrical issue the first thing to do would be unplug every single connector one-by-one, clean, apply dielectric compound and plug back together.

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
Last edit: 13 Apr 2015 12:57 by Kidkawie.