making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP

More
06 Apr 2015 10:49 #666803 by stcook76
so here's the deal, i purchased a 1983 Kz650 last year for my brother before he shipped of to the navy. He saw my 96cbr600f3 and wanted to ride, so I threw down the cash and bought the kz. left it all in my name since he was leaving. I took the bike a few times, Once to Nashville Tn, (I'm located near Stl Mo, so roughly 300 Miles), and it really started showing some issues, Found a tach oil seal leak, That it's leaking oil out the bottom as well, and even possibly through some of the engine seals into my front sprocket cover. This all being said, it's time for this bike to get a complete work-up. I'm pulling the Engine, replacing all the engine seals, cleaning it up real pretty like. replacing the ENTIRE wiring harness because the electrical is pretty much all bad, so much so that the ignition wont turn on the indicator lights for neutral and my running lights are just barely on even when im driving. i have a complete workup list if anyone is interested, and the only thing im not 100% sure on is the wiring harness. I plan on building it from scratch, but i have multiple questions.

Firstly, the gauge of wiring?? no clue what to be using. has anybody here done this before? I would love some help

1983 Kz650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2015 12:21 - 06 Apr 2015 12:23 #666812 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP
Get up on www.z1enterprises.com and look at all the electrical materials they have...they have all the wiring and all connectors...then call them and explain the issues and I'm sure they can guide you down the correct path.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 12:23 by Mcdroid. Reason: clarity

More
06 Apr 2015 15:12 - 06 Apr 2015 15:14 #666833 by Nessism
Replied by Nessism on topic making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP
I believe you would be miles ahead by rebuilding your existing harness or picking up a better used harness then rebuilding that.

Remove the harness wrap and trace down the problematic circuits. Clean all the contacts to remove corrosion. Pinch down the female terminals. Then rewrap the harness.

When you get to the point of rewrapping the harness, use some non adhesive harness wrap stuff designed for high temps. Elliott Tape EE 201 Hi-Temp is good stuff.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2015 15:14 by Nessism.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
06 Apr 2015 15:28 #666836 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP
Yes, again +1 on Nessism.

Get Dr Spock logical on this and trace your circuits, get some new Hitachi miniblock and insulated jap bullet connectors. The only wiring harness I have trashed was from a burned out bike, most can be repaired. Most of the faults are with the connectors.

Clicking on paypal for a NOS loom, even if you get exactly what you need , not that easy in reality as there are sub looms to the switches, ignition lock etc.

I'm partial rewiring my 750R1 right now, all the usual suspects problems and this black art of bike electrics gets easier with experience, we will help you out. here ;)

I know what you are thinking, get a new loom and it is plug and play...in the real world it won't be. Learn from my mistakes.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

• Randombeat
  • User
  • 0 to 100 real quick...
More
06 Apr 2015 16:05 #666849 by Randombeat
Replied by Randombeat on topic making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP
Use 14-16 gauge at least for the usual suspects (lights ect) and 10-12 for your starter leads and grounds. (Just my recommendations )

1980 KZ750H LTD-- pods-- vance & hines 4-1 --speedo/tach/blinker/switch deletes -- brat style

More
07 Apr 2015 15:05 #666991 by stcook76
Replied by stcook76 on topic making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP
Well the biggest problem is that there are so many oil leaks, literally almost the entire harness is COATED in oil. Will multiple points of corrosion and frays. Figured a full rebuild would fix that lol. And I know my way around wiring. Just can't find specs anywhere on gauges. I could clean all the old contacts and connectors and crimp and sheathe the new wiring. Just looking for specs. Also going to be cleaning and redoing the whole engine and seals soon as well if anyone has pointers

1983 Kz650

More
07 Apr 2015 15:07 #666992 by stcook76
Replied by stcook76 on topic making my own full wire harness-PLEASE HELP
I was hoping to find switches and fuses etc to purchase. Just use either new or clean the old contacts up.

1983 Kz650

More
07 Apr 2015 16:09 - 08 Apr 2015 15:54 #666999 by jlat
hello people; I'm new and I want to do the same. I did have a jump start on the harness but I did it in pencil and its kinda faded away. I have a factory manual as the others _low especially with the wiring diagram. I tried to follow the wiring and the different circuits shown in the manual. A factory type would be nice as if you had a problem you could unplug that area and either find another or repair it.
Good luck and I'd like to see what you come up with.
IBBY
Last edit: 08 Apr 2015 15:54 by jlat.