Ignition stuck in full on position!

More
02 Apr 2015 10:53 #666224 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Ignition stuck in full on position!
Looks like the key is stuck in Park. Park is where it locks the steering and leaves the tail light on eventually draining the battery. The whole idea of a Park position was so one could leave a light on and remove the key
I had the same problem once with my 750. I accidentally turned the key toPark and had a devil of a job getting it out again. I cant remember exactly how I did it. I just remember oiling and pushing in and jiggling and turning the bars and pulling on the key and eventually it turned to On and then Off and the key came out.
Good luck.
Hope you can avoid having to purchase a replacement.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zachism96

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Zachism96
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's only man made..
More
02 Apr 2015 12:09 #666233 by Zachism96
Replied by Zachism96 on topic Ignition stuck in full on position!
I might try it. Take it apert and see if it can be fixed. I will try to keep lubing it up and wiggling it. The key comes out and it is free now. Just the ignition won't move from its spot. If it doesn't fix itself I will take it apert and if that doesn't work then buy a new one. I was going to re wire anyways.

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
More
02 Apr 2015 16:57 - 02 Apr 2015 17:01 #666268 by Tyrell Corp
Replied by Tyrell Corp on topic Ignition stuck in full on position!
I did this job a week ago on my GPz750R1....-there are two oil holes in the ignition lock, that's why i suggest removing it for lube service. No-one ever uses the 'park' function, hence they get sticky.

New lock assembly cheap enough, just you lose those original kawi keys. the only reason I bothered with mine is it had a nice key:

No attachment: I wanted to post a pic of an original GPz key, but even google can't find one...hence the reason to salvage my orignal GPz keyed lock. the (detachable) ignition switch was causing the problems.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces
Last edit: 02 Apr 2015 17:01 by Tyrell Corp.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zachism96

• Zachism96
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • It's only man made..
More
02 Apr 2015 17:53 #666291 by Zachism96
Replied by Zachism96 on topic Ignition stuck in full on position!
Where are the lub holes? Inside the key slot?

More
02 Apr 2015 20:09 #666336 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Ignition stuck in full on position!
Since the park position includes the steering lock I would focus on that part of the mechanism. How does that work? There must be a pin or something that moves to block the steering. What is holding that something from moving back from the steering lock position so you can get the key out of park. Find that something and see if you can get some lubricant in there. Lubricating the key hole may not do anything. The steering lock mechanism may be sealed from the key hole portion. Even though the steering is locked there must be some play in the locking mechanism so gently rattle the steering within that play while you turn the key. Maybe you can look up an exploded view of the entire works on the web as if you were looking for a part.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.