Need help 83 kz250 electric!!

More
26 Dec 2014 20:17 #657047 by kzruzen
Need help 83 kz250 electric!! was created by kzruzen
Hey everyone. Im new to this but ive done alot of reading about my problem and have yet to find a solution. I have just recently bought a 83 kz250. I ran it after I got it home. It had some serious car issues. To the extent it backfired through the carb and caught the filter onfire. After dealing with the carb I hooked everything back up. This is where my current problem arises. I put the cae back on after cleaning and adjusting floats and noticed some chared wires... where the rectifier plug connects to the body harness. Apon hooking the battery up I blow the fuse hooked to the white wire with a red stripe. I figured it was a short in the blug cause of the fire damage. I then cut the plugs out and hard wired the rectifire to the harness. Figuring this would work I was upset to continue to blow fuses. Im at a loss at this point could therectifier be done or could their be a short somewhere else . Also the lights wont turn on when the white wire with a red stripe are connect but the will when I take them appart. Ant help would be appreciated thank you

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2014 08:14 - 27 Dec 2014 13:10 #657071 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Need help 83 kz250 electric!!
The red/white wire is probably for the main fuse (20A). From there it probably goes to the ignition switch. You could start by checking the wires & wire harness for physical damage from the main fuse to the ign switch & check the ignition switch itself. You'll have to remove the fuel tank to check the harness: typical problem areas are where the tank attaches to the frame (the harness can get pinched) & at the steering head where the harness gets flexed. The ign switch connector is probably in the headlight bucket.

Z1Enterprises.com & CycleTerminal are a couple of places where you can get stock type connectors & terminal pins. An open barrel crimper & a terminal pin extractor are a couple of handy tools to have.

To figure out stuff like this, the Kawasaki factory service manual would be handy, as it will have a wiring diagram. Your model may be in a KZ250 manual or maybe one for a KZ305. There are several KZ250 manuals on eebbaayy. 1980-1983 Kawasaki KZ250 Manual
Last edit: 27 Dec 2014 13:10 by martin_csr.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.