Minimal wireing

More
22 Sep 2014 08:48 #648351 by Rclr
Minimal wireing was created by Rclr
I inherited a 74kz400 look like all wires been cut rerun or burnt.I wont to start it with the absolute minimal wiring ,no key or ignition switch my friend rode it last year Hes past so he cant help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2014 15:59 - 28 Sep 2014 16:04 #649051 by weales
Replied by weales on topic Minimal wireing
Not sure of the ignition setup for this bike but guess that you can get it to start/run with a battery and power to the ignition circuit - you should include some sort of ignition on/off switch so you can easily and quickly shut it down if there's a problem. and a fuse to protect the circui t in case of a connection problem or wiring fault. Bit sketchy I know, but if you get a wiring diagram this will help with the hookup. :) One of these should be readily available - just post a request for help - one of our guys is sure to have one to share with you.

Current Project
1968 Norton P11A Desert Sled
Other bike (and daily ride)
2004 Yamaha FZR 600
Previous Bikes
78 Z1-R (resto)
91 Zephyr 750
73 Mach IV (Resto)
78 Z1-R
78 Z1-R (stolen)
76 Z900
76 Z650
73 Mach IV
72 Mach III
Last edit: 28 Sep 2014 16:04 by weales. Reason: add info

More
02 Oct 2014 05:45 #649389 by KZrider19
Replied by KZrider19 on topic Re:Re: Minimal wireing
I did that on my bikes ignition. I like the way it looks and is simple to set up. I flip a switch and kick it start. I've been meaning to put a hidden secondary switch somewhere that way some random person doesn't get on and ride the bike.
Attachments:

More
02 Oct 2014 16:37 #649451 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Minimal wireing

Rclr wrote: I inherited a 74kz400 look like all wires been cut rerun or burnt.I wont to start it with the absolute minimal wiring ,no key or ignition switch my friend rode it last year Hes past so he cant help.

Sometimes helps to keep in mind that the ignition circuit (to produce properly timed fat blue sparks) is all that's needed for the engine to run and perform normally.

Battery positive to the coil "charges" the coil while the coil remains grounded through the points/Dyna-S/igniter.

When the coil becomes ungrounded (by the points opening, or the Dyna-S magnet passing by the pickup, or through the igniter), the coil "fires" through the secondary loop (including both spark plugs).

When again grounded, the coil re-charges, and so on.

There's other wiring for chassis components (lights, horn, etc.).

And more wiring for the charging circuit (generator, regulator/rectifier).

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD