hiding electrics

More
12 Sep 2014 07:34 #647234 by vulcanizer
Replied by vulcanizer on topic hiding electrics
Awesome. Thats the info i needed. I want to get rid of the battery but i wasnt sure how to run the lights. i need a capaciter. I like the way its done in the first pic.

jeff macbeth

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2014 09:54 #647256 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic hiding electrics
If you search the topics on going batteryless, you'll see there are a few things you need to make sure of.

First, tune the bike with a battery, even a little scooter battery. Make sure you can kickstart the bike easily in one kick most of the time. If not, it will be more difficult without a battery. Also make sure the charging system is working perfectly.

You will also need a way to turn off all of the lights. It will not start at all with the headlights on, and it would be better to have all of the lights turned off while kicking. That goes for any other accessories as well.

I use a relay that automatically turns off the lights as soon as the motor stops. After it starts, I press the starter button to trigger the lights to come on. It requires a little rev when you turn on the lights because the headlights act like a dead short when they are cold.

Another thing is the wiring to the regulator needs to be altered slightly. If there is a brown wire on the regulator,it needs to be tied directly to the output wire of the regulator/rectifier.

The battery can then be replaced by a capacitor in the range of 5000 microfarad (sometimes labeled uF or MFD) to about 10,000 microfarad, and 50 volts or over.

On that 550, I think I'm using a 5000 uF cap, which seems to work fine. Larger capacitances will be physically larger (for the same voltage rating). It will be electrolytic, so it will have a polarity, + and -, like a battery. Look for ones with decent screw terminals. The initial current in the cap will be high as it starts, but will quickly drop off when the bike is running.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.