cdi/igniter box

More
06 Sep 2014 17:11 #646464 by rawraw617
cdi/igniter box was created by rawraw617
Hello I am new to this forum, also new to my love for kawasaki but am having a tuff time locating the cdi/igniter box. Im trying to get my 81 650 csr running proper. turns right on but dies off after 4, 000 rpms or so im trying to change the cdi box and take it from there thx.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2014 18:26 - 06 Sep 2014 18:33 #646481 by steell
Replied by steell on topic cdi/igniter box
First off, Kawasaki didn't use CDI on the four stroke KZ models, so what you are looking for is an igniter. KZ750 igniter would probably be plug-n-play

Hmm, can't recall which ignition system the 81 650 CSR uses, so BRB.

Ok, got it!

Take your timing advancer (governer/breaker) off and clean and lubricate the shaft. Problem is your timing advance isn't. advancing that is. If a motor falls on it's face at around 4000 rpm, then the timing is not advancing.

Since I just saved you a crapload of money and effort, feel free to donate to the site. :P

KD9JUR
Last edit: 06 Sep 2014 18:33 by steell.

More
06 Sep 2014 18:38 - 06 Sep 2014 18:50 #646485 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic cdi/igniter box
The KZ650-CSR has the same ignition system as some of the 750-4 models (different timing advancer, though).

Before replacing the igniter, have you tested it? Two things I would check first after servicing the advancer are the battery & the ignition coils. I know first hand that those two things can cause the bike to run funny or poorly & quit at high rpms. Another possibility is fuel starvation.

The bike needs a good battery to run right as it supplies the power to fire the coils. Charge the battery w a good motorcycle charger --- it should hold at least 12.6 VDC, but a good battery may be higher right after charging. (Ctek US 0.8 charger & VC97 digital multimeter). 12.2 VDC or less doesn't cut it.

The ignition coils can be fine when the bike is cold but fail under stress from internal shorts or something. A simple check is to ride the bike at highway speeds, then stop & feel them to see if they are getting hot --- press hard w your fingers, don't get burned by the valve cover --- they should be warm, not hot. Mine were getting hot, so I installed the green Dyna 3.0 ohm coils & plug wire set from Z1Enterprises.com.
Last edit: 06 Sep 2014 18:50 by martin_csr.

More
07 Sep 2014 08:16 #646561 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic cdi/igniter box
That symptom doesn't sound like an igniter problem.