MSD 3.0 Ohm Coils?

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
04 Sep 2014 05:58 #646214 by kzdcw
MSD 3.0 Ohm Coils? was created by kzdcw
I have a 77' KZ1000A long term project to get running again. Still has stock points. Have a chance to purchase a set of MSD 3.0 Red Coils for it for a reasonable price.

Everyone here seems to used the Dyna 3.0 Green Coils.

Will these MSD coils work and are they relatively easy to mount/install on the bike? Not familiar with them at all?

77' KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2014 07:37 - 04 Sep 2014 07:39 #646219 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic MSD 3.0 Ohm Coils?
Are you sticking with points for a long time?
The lower resistance of the 3 ohm coils will increase the current on the points which will reduce their service life. People use the Dyna 3 ohm coils for use with a Dyna S ignition, or even the factory electronic ignition.

The original points coils were 4 ohms.
Z1enterprises sells the 4 ohm coils for about $40 each, last i checked.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2014 07:39 by loudhvx.

• kzdcw
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
More
04 Sep 2014 09:57 #646231 by kzdcw
Replied by kzdcw on topic MSD 3.0 Ohm Coils?
Didn't know but learning. Plan on using points for a while. Bike is still in the process of being totally rebuilt and hasn't ran in over 20 years!

I really don't even know if the stock coils are even good as well as the plug wires. Just assessing everything as I go.

Like to upgrade to electronic ignition at a later time and better coils.

Having not being familiar with MSD coils at all, My main concern was if they work and fit? They appear to be bigger and have different mounts than the Dyna or Factory coils?

77' KZ1000A

More
04 Sep 2014 11:53 - 04 Sep 2014 12:00 #646248 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic MSD 3.0 Ohm Coils?
Call Z1 to confirm they will fit your frame, but I think they should.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...zuki&item=EM24-72451

$36 each. Not bad. Plus you get wires with them. You just need new caps.

These coils are meant for points, and will work with a Dyna S electronic ignition, (the most popular aftermarket ignition for these bikes), so you won't have to buy new coils if you get a Dyna S.

Unfortunately, they are out of stock... probably because they are so popular... so you should call them to order them to see what the lead time is. I think they've been out for a while.

Next best option for points (and will work on the Dyna S) would be the 5-ohm Dyna Coils.

Sorry, don't have any info on the MSD coils, but you wouldn't want them for points anyway. If you upgrade to the Dyna S now, then you might want them.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2014 12:00 by loudhvx.

More
04 Sep 2014 13:01 #646255 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic MSD 3.0 Ohm Coils?
Would not use a 3 Ohm coil with points unless you add a ballast resistor to reduce the current a bit. Power in the 3 Ohm coil is really going to cook it.

1979 KZ-750 Twin