Solved an ignition gremlin; worth sharing I hope

More
30 Aug 2014 09:59 #645682 by DSummerlin
I'm a new KZ owner and have been lurking here since I got my bike. It ran really well the first few weeks, but began to have some intermittent hiccupping, surging, backfiring, etc. One day it would seem fine, maybe a little cold natured, but I've been reading that this is normal for these bikes. I thought my coils were getting hot, but they seem to test out well, even warm. Went through the wiring connectors with a quick drying connector cleaner. Changed to a non resistor plug. Nothing. Today I got back after it, thinking that maybe I'm not getting enough voltage to the coils. Take off the timing cover and am looking at the dyna unit installed by PO. Hmmmm, looks like one of the pickups is gapped a bit further from the "rotor" than the other. gently loosen and adjust that (right) side, and the thing is a whole new animal. Hoping to see better MPGs after all of this. Anyway, it seems like so often it's something simple that gets ignored in the process in the posts I've read here and we knock ourselves out trying to fix things that we imagine are broken, or at least I do.

78 KZ650
82 KZ1000 LTD
99 ZRX 1100
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mcdroid

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2014 10:10 #645684 by TexasKZ
Hooray for simple fixes!!

Thanks for posting it.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
30 Aug 2014 17:46 #645720 by MFolks
And on the bike's with ignition points, they can either open up, or drift close. A rough gap to get you home will be a business card. Most rider have some in their wallets.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)