Stator location and recommended ohm reading...

More
13 Aug 2014 10:33 #643790 by rlngrk
Hey Team:

Warning: noob. I have a question about the location of the stator on a KZ750 CSR Twin... I believe it's located on the right side of the bike (right leg) fore of the rear brake pedal, with the cover held on by two screws aligned parallel with the road. Is this correct?

Second question - what is the recommended ohm reading on the stator when running to properly run/charge the bike?

I'm trying to isolate an electrical problem to either the stator or the voltage regulator, and my mechanic buddy is going to ohm out the stator first to see if we can pinpoint the voltage regulator as the problem.

The bike runs when started up while hooked up to a jumper box, but eventually stops running after the jumper box cables are removed. (It's not a fuel starvation problem - the carbs are good and so is the fuel tank/tube.) The battery was definitely dead at the (early) end of my last ride, and the bike started right up after an hour-long charge - even ran for a few minutes...

Any thoughts or advice or even answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

-nick
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Aug 2014 10:48 #643796 by 650ed
It's a shame you didn't ask advice sooner, but you need to know that starting and/or running a KZ while hooked up to a battery charger or another vehicle whose engine is running is a sure fire way to destroy your bike's charging and electrical system.

No offense intended, but you and your mechanic apparently have never seen the instructions on how to test the charging system of your bike.

The very best advice I can give is for you to buy a Kawasaki Service Manual. Do yourself a HUGE favor and get one. They usually are available on eBay and are worth their weight in GOLD - no one has ever regretted buying one. Be sure to get the one for your exact year/model bike as there are differences. It will explain everything you need to know about maintaining and troubleshooting your bike.
Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore, rlngrk

More
13 Aug 2014 12:58 - 13 Aug 2014 13:34 #643814 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Stator location and recommended ohm reading...
The bike needs a good battery to run right as it provides the energy to fire the coils. I would install a new, properly serviced battery & get a good motorcycle battery charger. A digital multimeter is handy as well (VC97)(Ctek US 0.8).

The service manual will outline how to test & troubleshoot the charging system. I searched eebbaayy for KZ750 manual but didn't see one for your bike. You should get one that at least covers your 82 Twin.

From the diagrams at Kawasaki.com for the 1982 KZ750-M1 CSR, I think the alternator is on the left side of the bike and the pulsing coil & timing advancer are on the right side.

Resistance checks are done with the component removed/disconnected from the bike's electrical system. There are voltage checks you can do for the stator. I do not know the values for the 750-Twins.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2014 13:34 by martin_csr.
The following user(s) said Thank You: rlngrk

More
13 Aug 2014 13:04 #643817 by rlngrk
Thanks guys - I checked my Clymer manual, and the stator is on the left, with the charger on the right... I have a feeling that the battery might just have been totally tapped out for the ride (haven't charged it in a couple of weeks since I first installed the fresh battery). I'll give it a full overnight charge (with my charger that's a 'smart' charger so it'll just switch to the 'maintain' function) and see what happens...

More
13 Aug 2014 13:29 - 13 Aug 2014 13:31 #643821 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Stator location and recommended ohm reading...
Here's a link to a site that has various 750-Twin manuals & supplements, including the 79 B4 manual with supplement for the 82 M1. Biquetoast - KZ750 Twin stuff Biquetoast - 79 B4 w 82 M1 suppl - pdf
Last edit: 13 Aug 2014 13:31 by martin_csr.