pulse coil magnet

More
27 Jun 2014 17:11 #638177 by peter1958
pulse coil magnet was created by peter1958
If it isn`t one thing its another and I cant believe this bike even ran, Took the pulse coil off and the top magnet is broken. Can it be replaced or should i just get the new coil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2014 18:10 #638182 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic pulse coil magnet
Picture, if possible? See if these numbers are good:
Checking with Kawasaki.com website has determined that the Pick up(pulsing) coils are available . The pulsing coil # is 59026-1133 and replaces the older # 1002, 1012 which were used from the MKII motors until the 2005 P24.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
27 Jun 2014 21:45 #638232 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic pulse coil magnet
If the magnet can be put in place and will stay in place when the pickup bracket is bolted to the timing plate, it won't matter that it is broken. But use a piece of masking tape to get every piece of iron and bits of magnet off of the main magnet pieces. Or you can just get one from a person who has a set of pickups that are defective/broken.

Everybody should be keeping their pickups and timing plates even if a pickup is bad. The other pickup can still be used, and, obviously, someone may need one of the magnets.

This page describes how to get the polarity correct on the magnets for proper operation:
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/GPZweb/Ignitio.../PickupAndRotor.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: peter1958

More
More
28 Jun 2014 08:40 #638264 by peter1958

More
28 Jun 2014 09:48 - 28 Jun 2014 09:52 #638271 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic pulse coil magnet
Firstly, the break on the magnet is perpendicular to the pole planes, so the pole positions on the magnet are mostly unchanged. Those magnets have poles on their big surfaces, unlike a typical bar magnet. Bar magnets have their poles on the ends, but these have poles on their surfaces. One entire surface is (almost entirely) one pole, and the other surface is the other pole.

Where the magnet is broken, when you try to put it together, it will repel. But forcing it back together mechanically, causes the flux lines to distort back into the original shape before the magnet was broken, thus restoring the original magnetism of the magnet.

Every permanent magnet really just wants to fly apart into individual atoms. But the chemical bonds of the material, holding it together, are way stronger than the magnetic forces trying to separate them. Forcing them together forces the flux to concentrate into a net magnetism for the overall body. So if the chemical bonds holding the magnet together get broken, just physically holding them together will accomplish the same thing and you end up with the same magnet you started with.

Heat and/or high mechanical shock can reduce the overall magnetic strength, but as long as the magnet just broke from a one-time drop or because the metal plates were warped etc. the magnetic strength is probably not diminished by any significant amount. The ceramic type magnets are pretty brittle, so it's not surprising they can break. There are also rubberized versions that seem to hold up better. I have not investigated whether one type may be stronger, magnetically, than the other, but it would be interesting to find out.

Looking at your photos...
You just have to make sure the smaller piece does not vibrate out of place. A tiny dab of thin glue might help, but keep it as small of a dab as possible. You don't want any significant layer between the magnet pieces and the metal, which would reduce the magnetism slightly.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2014 09:52 by loudhvx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Patton

More
28 Jun 2014 12:57 #638286 by peter1958
Replied by peter1958 on topic pulse coil magnet
I will just put it back together till I find one. This bike went down in flames years ago and everything was burnt in a fire. Wish I had a picture of it. The guy said the tank was blown up and the sides of it where straight out. Thanks for your time loudhvx.