Battery

More
14 Jun 2014 19:13 #636667 by JP87
Battery was created by JP87
Hey all,
I recently got a 1981 kz250. It last ran 3 years ago according to the last owner but has been sitting ever since. I will be cleaning her up on monday, changing fluids, cleaning carbs, plugs, etc. and seeing if i can get her to fire up. The battery is dead from sitting for so long and my question is: If I take OUT my car car battery and take out the bike battery put both on a table hook up cables to them for like 20 minutes, you think it would charge the battery enough just to see if she will fire? I searched online and aome people said that its fine as long as they are both same volts, and others said dont do it cuz it will blow the battery. I just want to get enough juice to test because I dont want to buy a new battery and have it sit since I am planning on chopping the bike and hardtailing it. So it wont get used for some time. Anyone ever tried this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2014 20:28 #636670 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Battery
It really depends on the condition of the motorcycle battery. A battery that hasn't been run in 3 years will probably have dead cells, Your best bet is to replace the battery and keep it on a tender until you're ready to install it

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
14 Jun 2014 23:53 #636677 by JP87
Replied by JP87 on topic Battery
Os there a certain type or brand of tender that you would recommend?

More
15 Jun 2014 03:21 #636694 by nickleo373
Replied by nickleo373 on topic Battery

1981 KZ550C LTD
"If you ain't first, you're last"

More
15 Jun 2014 07:13 - 15 Jun 2014 12:13 #636708 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Battery
I recently got a Ctek US 0.8 smart charger. It seems like a good one to me --- the battery is definitely holding a charge better than when I was using an old Schumacher. Only time will tell if it gets me a better battery life. The unit has a de-sulphation step, so hopefully it will.

Purchase note: see the Ctek site about getting one from an authorized dealer --- I got mine on eebbaayy & made sure they were an auth seller for warranty purposes (one or two weren't).

Using a car battery: I think you can use a 12V car battery (car engine OFF - car keys in pocket). The bike will only pull the current it needs. I removed the old/dead battery from my 81 650 & ran jumper cables from the car --- the bike started & ran fine. Do so at your own risk, though. hee.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 12:13 by martin_csr.