Contact breaker question

More
13 Jun 2014 12:45 #636504 by Nduetime
Contact breaker question was created by Nduetime
So I'm trying to preform some tune-up things on my kz400 D3. I have a question regarding the contact breaker and it's relationship to the shaft it contacts. Part of the breaker assemble rides on the shaft (timing advancer?), which dictates the rise and fall (open/close) of the contact. I get this. My question pertains to that action. When I was in there last night, I noticed two grooves (not major but still noticeable) running around the shaft (timing advancer?) which the outer edges of the contract breaker rides on. I assume that the contact between the two either will wear down the connection between the two or if it's not adjusted properly, can also create grooves in the shaft? I'm thinking of replacing the points and condenser and am wondering about the advancer. Is it normal to see grooves around this shaft?

'77 KZ400 D4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 14:13 #636511 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Contact breaker question
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo, there shouldn't be grooves on the little advancer cam. Below is an eBay pic of a new old stock one. Near the bottom of the advancer there should be a small felt pad that the cam rubs on. That pad should be lubed periodically with ignition grease (see images below for examples). Doing that should prevent or significantly reduce wear on the advancer cam. Also, when you replace the points, you should remove the little cam from the advancer, clean and grease the inside of it and the shaft it rides on. Ed

Attachment DistibutorCamGrease-Bosch.jpg not found

Attachment DistibutorCamGrease-Mallory.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.