What are these components and what do they do?

More
13 Jun 2014 08:07 #636467 by jmoney05
First let me start with I am not educated with electrical systems so this is a huge job for me! Second, the previous owner had been into this wiring and hacked it pretty badly, I am for the most part trying to fix the hCk job and at the same time simplify the harness.

Attachment image_2014-06-13.jpg not found

Attachment image_2014-06-13-2.jpg not found

One has ground wires (I think ) going to it and the other brake stuff? I appreciate the help!!!

1978 Kz650D
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2014 08:11 - 13 Jun 2014 08:12 #636468 by jmoney05
Replied by jmoney05 on topic What are these components and what do they do?
Might I add that the previous owner had installed dyna ignition to replace the points setup. The wires were not long enough so he used lamp wire yes you heard right! House hold lamp wire to make a wire extension. Wow I am in deep trying to fix this! The more I peel back electrical tape the worse this crap gets.

1978 Kz650D
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 08:12 by jmoney05. Reason: Added info

More
13 Jun 2014 08:18 - 13 Jun 2014 08:21 #636470 by Patton
To help identify the electrical components in hand, could refer to the wiring diagram furnished by 650ed to match wire colors associated with the parts.
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/59428...iring-diagram#635110

Including information about bike year and model is helpful to viewers and usually elicits better responses.

It's easy to put the information in your signature where it shows in all posted messages, past and future.

And the signature may be changed whenever and as often as desired.

If wanting a signature showing information about the bike in posted messages, it's easy to do.

Here's how:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 08:21 by Patton.

More
13 Jun 2014 09:06 #636483 by MFolks
Do you have a multimeter? If not, you're going to need one to help sort out this mess. Here's a good video on how to use one:

The best multimeter tutorial

For reliable wire splicing and soldering, there are many video's on you tube, and I have many years of working with wires, so don't be afraid to ask questions.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Jun 2014 12:50 - 13 Jun 2014 12:55 #636505 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic What are these components and what do they do?
I think the part in the 1st pic is the Fuel Check Switch. It works in conjunction w the Low Fuel Switch at the tank & turns on a warning light at the meters when the fuel is low.

The other part is probably the Outage Indicator Switch or Brake Light Failure Switch. I think it will flash a warning light at the meters when the brake light bulb is out or if there is a fault in the brake light circuit. ??? not 100% sure on that, though. On my 81 650, the brake indicator light illuminates whenever the brake is applied, but it will flash if the Rr brake light is not functioning correctly.

The owner's manual may have info on the meter warning lights n stuff.
Last edit: 13 Jun 2014 12:55 by martin_csr.

More
14 Jun 2014 06:15 - 14 Jun 2014 06:19 #636585 by jmoney05
Ok so I have been confused as there are more wires on the bike than there are on the diagram! There are wires connecting the coils to a group of blue wires which are connected to that brake failure switch thingy! Can they be removed??? Please help perhaps it is ground for the electronic ignition ?

1978 Kz650D
Last edit: 14 Jun 2014 06:19 by jmoney05. Reason: Added question

More
14 Jun 2014 06:23 #636588 by jmoney05

Attachment image_2014-06-14.jpg not found

Headache

1978 Kz650D
Attachments:

More
14 Jun 2014 06:25 #636590 by jmoney05
How did this thing even run?

1978 Kz650D

More
14 Jun 2014 07:42 #636595 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic What are these components and what do they do?
I think the blue wire carries power to various components. If he rewired the bike, he may have used a lot of extra wire to avoid using or having butt connectors.... just a wild guess. To figure out what he did, I guess you're going to have to trace the wires & label them as you figure out what's what.

More
14 Jun 2014 08:27 #636598 by Patton

jmoney05 wrote: ... dyna ignition....

When diagnosing an electrical issue suspected of keeping the engine from running, the ignition system may be independently addressed without involving the charging system or the chassis electrics.

The ignition system on the bike at hand consists of the Dyna-S, 2 ignition coils, spark plugs, plug caps, and plug wires.

Charging system consists of the generator, rectifier and regulator.
Chassis electrical system consists of other components such as lights, etc.

With a good battery, the engine should run just fine on the ignition system alone, without the charging system and without any chassis electrical wiring.

In order for the Dyna-S to function, it needs battery positive, which is furnished via a red wire from any source available supplying switched battery positive (i.e., battery power when the ignition switch is in the ON position)

The signal wire from the 9 o'clock Dyna-S pick-up module goes to a primary terminal on whichever ignition coil has plug wires going to the 2 outside spark plugs #1 and #4,

The signal wire from the 3 o'clock Dyna-S pick-up module goes to a primary terminal on whichever ignition coil has plug wires going to the 2 inside spark plugs #2 and #3.

Each of the two ignition coils has a wire on its other primary terminal that provides switched battery positive to the ignition coil. The wire is usually red, or red/yellow.

With the ignition system wiring so connected, and battery positive being furnished to each ignition coil and to the Dyna-S, the engine should run normally (until the battery runs down).

In general, whether the battery stays charged is a function of the charging system, not the ignition system.

In general, whether chassis electrical components are working properly isn't a function of the charging system or the ignition system.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: jmoney05, FaultedGeologist