1978 KZ400 Timing

More
12 Jun 2014 07:22 #636295 by treitz
1978 KZ400 Timing was created by treitz
I've looked everywhere online and in the manual and I can't find the exact timing specs for the 1978 KZ400. I know the gap, but do you set it at the "T" mark or the "F" mark?

The strange thing is the old stock points and condenser work but have a super inconsistent spark. I ordered a brand new condenser and points set which won't work at all. May be time for a new coil?

1979 KZ400 - 2-1 Manifold - Mikuni VM34

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jun 2014 07:45 #636297 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic 1978 KZ400 Timing
You do not set the gap at the "T" or "F" mark. The gap is not intended to control when the spark plugs fire. The gap controls duration (how long the coil is charged). You set the gap at the highest point on the points cam no matter where that occurs. In other words, turn the crankshaft until the points are open at their widest gap then set the gap to the specification. You set the gap first then you set the timing.

After you set the gap you set the ignition timing (when the spark plugs fire). To do this you rotate the ignition backplate (the plate upon which the points and condenser are mounted) until the points just break continuity when the pointer and "F" mark are aligned. The backplate is held in place by 3 screws. You can use a meter set to ohms to see the exact point at which continuity breaks to determine the correct position of the backplate.

After doing those things you can use a dwell meter to perfectly set the points gap (dwell), and after doing that use a timing light to perfectly set the timing.

If you have the Kawasaki Service Manual I suggest you carefully read through the "Ignition Timing" instructions in the"Adjustment Engine" section. Doing so should clarify what needs to be done. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Jun 2014 08:37 #636306 by treitz
Replied by treitz on topic 1978 KZ400 Timing

650ed wrote: You do not set the gap at the "T" or "F" mark. The gap is not intended to control when the spark plugs fire. The gap controls duration (how long the coil is charged). You set the gap at the highest point on the points cam no matter where that occurs. In other words, turn the crankshaft until the points are open at their widest gap then set the gap to the specification. You set the gap first then you set the timing.

After you set the gap you set the ignition timing (when the spark plugs fire). To do this you rotate the ignition backplate (the plate upon which the points and condenser are mounted) until the points just break continuity when the pointer and "F" mark are aligned. The backplate is held in place by 3 screws. You can use a meter set to ohms to see the exact point at which continuity breaks to determine the correct position of the backplate.

After doing those things you can use a dwell meter to perfectly set the points gap (dwell), and after doing that use a timing light to perfectly set the timing.

If you have the Kawasaki Service Manual I suggest you carefully read through the "Ignition Timing" instructions in the"Adjustment Engine" section. Doing so should clarify what needs to be done. Ed

Oh man! I knew I was forgetting something. It's been a while since I've done this. I knew points gap was set at the widest, I just couldn't remember the timing portion of it. I'll give that a shot tonight.

I've looked through the book 3 or 4 times and found very little information on timing. I'll look again though.

Thanks for your help.

More
16 Jun 2014 07:04 #636820 by treitz
Okay... So I set the points gap again and checked the timing. It appears I'm getting consistent spark at the point, but no spark at all to the plugs. Thinking I should replace the coil.

Thoughts?

More
21 Jun 2014 21:42 #637474 by treitz
New coil came. Getting good spark, starts right up. Good power throughout, just won't idle smoothly. Can't tell of its a fuel or ignition issue.

Fuel wise, I noticed the carbs were missing the pilot plugs. Put those in. So maybe the small hole by the main jet that feeds the pilot system isn't completely clear?

More
21 Jun 2014 22:09 #637478 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1978 KZ400 Timing

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD