Found a gremlin in my electrical...I think??

More
10 Jun 2014 07:35 - 10 Jun 2014 07:37 #636021 by Dino_71
I was having some charging issues on my KZ900. I had recently replaced the standard sealed bean headlight for a H4 unit like many on the forum have talked about doing. I started noticing major drain on my charging system to the point where the battery output would keep up with regular riding for awhile and then things would start, or not start working. Horn would stop working, turning signals would be slow to blink, electric start would not function. Checked headlight wiring, started doing diagnostics on alternator, the stator output and all kinds of test many of you had posted in other topics. Everything, as far as I could tell, was testing fine. I was sitting for awhile doing continuity testing for good ground and proceeded to notice my rectifier had a ground wire. tested and found this after removing the connector panel so I could test the bullets and wiring in the back ... ..

arcing do to the old rubber grommet failing that mounts the battery box to the frame.
Is this a possible solution to my power drain issues?? a piece of the puzzle?? or did I just find the tip of the ice burg? or who thinks my rectifier is now done for? Thanks for your opinion everyone!

Proud owner of a 76 KZ900 that gives me tons of fun and headaches at the same time...U all know what I mean :)
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 Jun 2014 07:37 by Dino_71. Reason: add picture

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jun 2014 09:24 #636030 by MFolks
www.electrosport.com has a troubleshooting page you should find helpful. As for the potential shorting problem, I'd replace the rubber grommets, as they are going bad.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
10 Jun 2014 09:42 #636033 by 650ed
Rectifiers are pretty easy to test. Basically, you just confirm that the diodes still only permit current to flow in one direction. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)