plug wires . which ones?

More
09 Jun 2014 06:43 #635898 by rlcarter
plug wires . which ones? was created by rlcarter
hello. i have a 1980 kz1000 it has electronic ignition but i want to go with the dyna s system and coils . should i use the copper core wires or the suppression type ? and should the wires be 7mm or 8mm ? i will be useing the greeen dyna coils .

1980 KZ1000 G w/carbs..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2014 10:02 - 09 Jun 2014 10:10 #635910 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic plug wires . which ones?

rlcarter wrote: hello. i have a 1980 kz1000 it has electronic ignition but i want to go with the dyna s system and coils . should i use the copper core wires or the suppression type ? and should the wires be 7mm or 8mm ? i will be useing the greeen dyna coils .

Recall that it's important to have no more than one resistance component in the secondary loop (i.e., coil, wires, caps, plugs and engine head), which may be suppressor wires OR resistor caps OR "R" plugs.

Am thinking the stock bike came with solid core plug wires, a resistor-cap, and non-R plugs.

Where radio frequency interference isn't a concern, it's perfectly okay to run without any resistance component whatever in the secondary loop (such as copper core wires with integrated non-resistant caps and stock non-R plugs).

Copper core is more durable than suppression.

Would use the stock 7mm size.
Am thinking 8mm doesn't readily fit inside the coil towers.

:unsure: Dyna brand plug wires, and retaining the integrated non-resistor caps (not using separate plastic stock-style resistor plug caps?

:unsure: Dyna brand plug wires without the integrated non-resistor caps, and using separate plastic stock-style resistor plug caps?

Some folks may prefer the stock appearance of plastic plug caps, so they just snip off the integrated caps on Dyna plug wires.
In this event, the copper core Dyna plug wires should be used because the separate plastic caps likely already contain a resistor.

Where radio frequency interference is a concern, and wanting to keep Dyna's integrated non-resistor caps together with stock non-R plugs -- Dyna's 7mm suppressor plug wires would be an acceptable choice.
Essentially, the suppressor wires are used instead of resistor caps. Whereas , the stock bike used resistor caps and copper core wires.

"Copper core" is probably more accurately referred to as "solid metal core."

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 09 Jun 2014 10:10 by Patton.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PLUMMEN

More
09 Jun 2014 10:21 #635912 by rlcarter
Replied by rlcarter on topic plug wires . which ones?
patton, thanks for the info i had to get rid of my 34 yr. old coils hope to get back to riding this weekend.

1980 KZ1000 G w/carbs..

More
10 Jun 2014 18:19 #636094 by me109g4
Replied by me109g4 on topic plug wires . which ones?
I just did this today with my 1980 Kz1000LTD B4. My wires were the originals and I had discovered a crack in one of the coils, so it was time. Since I already had the factory electronic ignition all I needed was coils and wires. The wires I bought at the local parts store, 6' for less than 4 bucks, 7MM 18 strand copper core. I looked at the dyna coils but opted to use coils from a 2003 ZZR1200 which are high output and compareable to the ohms needed for the KZ.. Had to add a hole for the coils to mount them on the frame shelf, electrically I removed the ballast resistor from the bikes wiring and plugged the coils into the factory wiring. I cut the ignition wires to length screwed them into the coils and into the NGK spark plug boots. The only noise suppression being the 5000K resistance spark plug boots. Once completed I noticed the bike started a lot quicker, you barely hear the starter motor before it starts and the bike is a lot smoother running down the road. Not using the Dyna's saved me a bunch,, the wire was $4 and the coils I found online for $18 shipped, a fun and cheap experiment that turned out extremely well