Stator question

More
04 Jun 2014 23:05 #635411 by reaper31
Stator question was created by reaper31
I just got my 78 KZ650SR back this weekend and was trying to tackle the "battery not charging issue"
was reading in my clymer manual, and found that they say that the resistance in the stator should be .4 ohm, however, they removed assembly from the bike. i was just messing around and measured it i got.6 Ohm.
can the stator still being installed make that .2 Ohm difference ? or is there a good chance i will need a new one?
this weekend i am getting a 12V lead battery charger and new oil so that i can run the engine and keep looking if a have to. I did do the stator wire to ground test and it cam out good.

any thoughts?

1978 KZ650 SR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2014 23:26 #635412 by reaper31
Replied by reaper31 on topic Stator question
little update,

also measured the regulator:
the book says + to yellow and - to black should be less then 20 Ohm, I got an infinity reading.
then measure - to yellow and + to black, should be more than 100 KOhm, i got 297 Kohm on both yellows

1978 KZ650 SR

More
05 Jun 2014 07:38 #635429 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Stator question
Mounting of the stator should not affect readings.

Resistance checking the regulator is not reliable. You are measuring non-linear devices. If a manufacturer specs a different part, the reading may be wildly different. You will also have to use whatever meter Kawasaki (or whoever wrote the manual) used to make those specs.

You should be doing the voltage tests that are spec'd in the manual for the stator. That is more reliable.

What ignition are you running?

More
05 Jun 2014 08:53 #635441 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stator question
Does the engine run so that voltage between battery posts can be measured at 4000 rpm?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Jun 2014 09:33 #635449 by reaper31
Replied by reaper31 on topic Stator question
Thank you for the reply.

This bike still has the original point ignition system, although the points were replaced 2 years ago and they worked.
I made the original measurement on a Fluke 77IV, and got the .6 Ohm. saw a Youtube video this morning of a guy doing a resistance test on a 3 phase stator using the same DMM as mine. he got .6 on a working unit. (i know...very scientific...)
that got me thinking, so i used a a little china DMM i have laying around the garage and actually got .4 Ohm
right now i cannot start the engine due to the battery being dead. i am getting new oil and a 12 volt lead acid battery charger this weekend. then i will perform the voltage test shown in the book.
maybe the stator will be good and that open i am measuring on the rectifier is my problem. i guess i will have to take it a step at a time as soon as i can get the engine running.

i am getting more comfortable getting into the bike now, i have never worked on one, so some of the components and methods are a little foreign to me right now.

1978 KZ650 SR

More
05 Jun 2014 09:39 #635452 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Stator question
With a good fully charged battery installed, look for 14+ volts measured between the battery posts at 4000 rpm, which indicates that the charging system components are okay.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD