Removing battery and all that goes with it

More
02 Jun 2014 07:35 #634996 by 1978kz750
I'm not really interested utilizing the battery on my kz750b. My battery is bad anyhow so it saves me some cash to get it back on the road. I'm a total noob at wiring so I need it in idiot proof language :). Not really wanting to mess with the wiring harness either just tuck the connectors so if I change my mind I still have everything. I am not wanting to run the side covers and I want to clean up the areas behind them so I can possibly run pod filters. Sorry it's so jumbled. My brain is erratic today.

Be safe. Look twice for motorcycles

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
04 Jun 2014 07:36 #635319 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Removing battery and all that goes with it
As I understand it, these bikes run on their battery...u r gonna need it!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
04 Jun 2014 07:50 #635323 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Removing battery and all that goes with it
If you don't want to hack into the harness you will need the battery.

If you want to get rid of the battery, and it's truly a 78 750 twin (and not a 76 or 77), then you should be able to replace it with a big capacitor. (5000 to 10,000 microfarad, 50volt). But you will have to hack the harness. You will have to alter it so you can turn off all of the lights while starting. Your ignition will have to be rock solid. And you will have to make sure it's tuned well enough to start on one kick pretty reilably. It's usually best to tune it with the battery first, before getting rid of it.

The best thing would probably be to get an AGM Scorpion battery from BatteryStuff.com. They are not cheap, though, but worth it to never have to worry about acid again.

More
10 Jun 2014 23:11 #636109 by 1978kz750
Replied by 1978kz750 on topic Removing battery and all that goes with it
As luck would have it, I tossed in my quad battery just to get it to turn over because it's been sitting for a longggg time and I had just rebuilt the carbs. Key was in the off position and as soon as I completed the circuit poof...giant cloud of smoke and I could see wires glowing. Lucky the connection failed and juice stopped flowing or I'd have lost my garage. So, wiring harness will most likely be hacked down to bare bones like signals horn and headlight. This was supposed to be a minimum budget to get it on the road but it now seems otherwise.

More
11 Jun 2014 04:54 #636114 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic Removing battery and all that goes with it
Damn! Glad the connection broke.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
11 Jun 2014 06:37 #636120 by 1978kz750
Yeah no doubt scared the crap out of me.

So could anyone give a parts list for switching over to bare bones and possibly a wiring diagram? All I have is my phone to search for stuff on here and for whatever reason this site does seem mobile friendly in the layout. Sorry if I'm asking for stuff that's been posted before

More
11 Jun 2014 16:54 - 11 Jun 2014 16:59 #636221 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Removing battery and all that goes with it
First, you have to find out what happened. If the reg/rec isshorted, you don't want to smoke out the new wiring. If you have a short somewhere else, you have to find it so you can be confident it wasn't in a switch or something you will be keeping.

Try to identify exactly wich wires are burned. That will help trace what happened.

Wiring won't cost much money, but it will take time.
Last edit: 11 Jun 2014 16:59 by loudhvx.

More
11 Jun 2014 22:02 - 11 Jun 2014 22:09 #636271 by 1978kz750
Alright upon further investigation I found a raw hot line that had come into contact with a ground that had been stripped too far back in a connector. Burnt up what appears to be all the ground wires in the area. Ground to starter solenoid. Ground to rectifier. Battery is fine it seems. Looks like damage was pretty confined with the possibility of a shorted rectifier and solenoid. WIth that being said, I don't feel comfortable with repairing what was damaged without looking everything over. And if I'm gonna inspect the entire thing, I might as well go with new wires for a stripped down harness. Not to mention I have access to a lot of excess wire in various gauges that'll cover the wiring and various connectors.

Last edit: 11 Jun 2014 22:09 by 1978kz750. Reason: Double post