Faulty connection... somewhere

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jun 2014 11:37 #634877 by TheForumTroll
Faulty connection... somewhere was created by TheForumTroll
I was on a long ride in darkness yesterday for the first time on my new bike and noticed that sometimes the turn signals wasn't working. I thought I might be a bad connection in the switcher at first but today the starter button wasn't working at the same time as the turn signals stopped working.

Anyone have any idea where to start looking? I've looked around a bit but nothing looks old or broken, but something must be lose somewhere?

The headlight and other electrics works fine.

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jun 2014 08:36 #635007 by MDZ1rider
Replied by MDZ1rider on topic Faulty connection... somewhere
Find a wiring diagram for your bike and look for a common connector. I'm not familiar with the details of a KZ700, but there may be a diagram in your owners manual. The service manual will definitely have one. In general, follow the harness from the switch. It probably goes to a socket inside the headlight bucket. Inspect and clean the connector.

Good luck

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2014 04:25 #635105 by TheForumTroll
Replied by TheForumTroll on topic Faulty connection... somewhere
So it seems I was just unlucky both the turn signals and the starter died at the same time. I have located the starter problem (broken clutch contact) so they weren't related after all. I still cannot locate any wires or connections that doesn't look in really good shape but at least I know the wiring was taken good care of.

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-

More
03 Jun 2014 15:29 #635190 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Faulty connection... somewhere
Do this:

Cleaning Motorcycle Electrics

Get some of the De-Oxit DN5 electrical contact cleaner and figure on spending a good day going from the front of the bike to the back. It’s a plastic safe cleaner/preservative. www.deoxit.com is their website, and can be purchased at most electronic supply stores.

On the older Kawasaki's, and other makes, a majority of electrical connectors are inside the headlight housing requiring removal of the headlight, then the fun begins.

Do one set of electrical connectors at a time to avoid mixing up what connects to where. Usually disconnecting, spraying with De-Oxit DN5 and reconnecting is about all you'll need.

However, when encountering the green crud of corrosion, a brass wire brush may be needed on the pins you can reach. Some 400-600 grit wet and dry sandpaper strips rolled into a tube should reach the male and female pins in the more difficult to clean connectors.

Smoker’s pipe cleaners, cotton swabs and wooden toothpicks work as cleaning aids.

Really small electrical connectors may require the use of a welders tip cleaning tool assortment.

Most pins in the connectors are coated with a thin plating of tin, and others may be nothing more than copper or brass.

If moisture is added, the resulting corrosion lowers the voltage/current being carried causing dim lights, slow engine cranking, slow turn signal response and lower input voltage to the ignition coils resulting in weak spark.

The left and right handlebar switch pods will need attention too as they have circuit functions like turn, horn, run/stop, and start. If you discover the soldered connections at the switches are crumbling, I’ve got a repair procedure for this, just ask.

Usually a spritz or two with actuation of the switch is about all needed for these switches unless corrosion is detected and then careful disassembly is required.

The ignition switch may or may be not sealed to allow spraying the internal contacts. I urge caution if attempting to open this up as springs, and ball bearings may fly out never to be seen again!

If your bike has the older style glass tubed fuses, I suggest replacing them as vibration can cause internal failure. AGX is the type used, and most auto parts stores can get them for you.

Clean the fuse holder clips, looking for signs of overheating(discolored insulation, signs of melting). I use metal polish on a cotton swab, followed by spraying another clean swab with the De-Oxit DN5 and then rubbing the inside of the fuse clip.

All battery cables must be clean and tight for maximum current transfer. Check the cables going from the Negative(-) battery terminal/post to the engine mounting bolt

Also the one going from the Positive(+) terminal to the starter solenoid and from there to the starter motor.

If any battery cable feels ”Crunchy” when flexed, replace it as possible corrosion is inside the insulation.

Each "Bullet Connector" will have to be sprayed to ensure good connectivity, especially the ones going to the energizing coil of the starter solenoid.

The alternator output “Bullet Connectors” are usually behind the engine sprocket cover and will need inspecting and cleaning too.

The turn signal light sockets will benefit from a spritz from the contact cleaner along with the tail light/brake light socket.

Some brake light switches can be sprayed on the actuating rod, with the spray running down inside to the electrical contacts, others may be sealed requiring replacement if the switch is intermittent in operation.

Some people put the Di-Electric Grease on cleaned terminations/connectors, I don’t, as I’ve read/heard it can cause problems when it gets hot, actually insulating the connections, so the choice is yours to use or not.

I think I've covered about all of the electrical systems on the bike.........

“I spent a weekend going through every electrical connection and switch on the bike with a little scotchbrite pad and DeOxit - what a difference! Everything was brighter, gauge backlights, indicator lights, turn signals, I was getting a nicer spark, it fired up quicker, etc. Well worth my time. WELL worth it! “
From a forum member at www.kzrider.com

Re: Cleaning the many and various Motorcycle electrics.
I used the De-oxit D-5 spray on all the electrical connections of my 78 Kz1000 that had sat for twenty years .

When I parked the bike in 92 I was starting to have troubles with some of the electrical system, but after pulling everything apart and giving it a spray , reconnecting the connectors and working them back and forth a few times, then gave them another shot of spray to wash them off before the final reconnection.

Everything still works perfectly and has for over 7000 miles this year.

I am extremely happy with the results , a lot of the connectors were green when I started and after the cleaning they looked new ( shiny gold )

I found the Deoxit D-series, D-5 spray in a 4 oz can at a big electronics store called Frys in Illinois, don't get the small cans at Radio Shack , they are different and meant for computer type stuff.

store.caig.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.188/.f

Trust MFolks , the guy's a true rocket scientist and really knows what he's talking about.
JD

Use Deoxit DN5 on new or restored electrical contacts to condition them against future corrosion. Deoxit DN5 dissolves oxidation and corrosion on metal surfaces, fills in microscopic gaps and reseals surfaces for better electrical conductivity.

VOC and RoHS compliant
Nonflammable, quick-drying, non-dripping, and safe on plastics
Reduces arcing, RFI, wear and abrasion

Brand: Caig Laboratories
Model: DN5S-6N

Specifications: Net weight: 5.75 oz. (163g)

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheForumTroll

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2014 15:40 - 03 Jun 2014 15:52 #635195 by TheForumTroll
Wow, that's one hell of an answer :woohoo:

I had already started going through the wires but they look really good so far. I think the P.O. have cleaned and sprayed everything. What I did find was what I believe to be a faulty turn signal relay and a broken clutch-killswitch-connector(?). I don't know what is wrong with the relay (tried doing the tests from the service manual which seemed to be okay) but swapping the hazard and turn signal relays made the problem go from the turn signals to the hazard, so it must be bad anyway.

I don't think I can get that specific brand of contact cleaner here in Scandinavia but I'll definitely use some.
Thanks!

EDIT:

I'm thinking I might swap out the fuse box with one I got lying around somewhere. Something like this:

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-
Last edit: 03 Jun 2014 15:52 by TheForumTroll.

More
03 Jun 2014 15:52 #635196 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Faulty connection... somewhere
I recommend you replace the turn signal relay with a new electronic unit, They flash much more consistently than the old type. You should be able to find a Tridon/Stant 552 2 prong unit. Most car stores in the US sell them, and I would think the same would be true in your location. They are inexpensive and are a direct plug & play replacement. They are the exact same size & shape as the original so they fit in the rubber holder thingy. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: TheForumTroll

• TheForumTroll
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
03 Jun 2014 15:54 - 03 Jun 2014 16:27 #635197 by TheForumTroll
Thanks Ed! I'll order two of those if I can find any.

It is so good having a bike to play around with again :laugh:

UPDATE: No luck finding any round and electronic ones.

-[ KZ700-A1 '84 ]-
Last edit: 03 Jun 2014 16:27 by TheForumTroll.