Battery and starter removal

More
21 May 2014 09:53 #633288 by 79Bobber
Battery and starter removal was created by 79Bobber
Building a 79 KZ400 bobber. I'm interested in removing the battery, and all electric start components...Is this possible without a bunch of wiring, in order to keep functioning lights? Speedo, tach, intrument panel, and turn signals are gone as well.

79 Bobbed KZ400 - chopped and lowered, solo seat, short pipes, white walls

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
21 May 2014 10:11 #633290 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Battery and starter removal
loudhvx has done many of these conversions. Have a look HERE or just use the search function

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
21 May 2014 10:12 - 21 May 2014 10:17 #633291 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Battery and starter removal
I've spoken to many KZ400 owners about the possibility, but I'm not sure any have tried it. They usually go with a small scooter battery.

Yes it is possible on the '79, but not on some of the earlier models.

You would have to replace the battery with a capacitor or one of those battery eliminators, which are just a capacitor. It should be about 5000 to 10,000 microfarad, and 50 volts.

You will also have to make it so you can turn all of the lights off while starting.

If the regulator has a brown wire, that wire needs to be tied directly to the output wire of the regulator/rectifier.

Before doing all of that, though, you will want to make sure the bike is tuned so it starts on one or two kicks almost every time. If it's hard to start, it will be harder to start without the battery.

A factory electronic ignition from a later model (440) would be a good idea as well.
Last edit: 21 May 2014 10:17 by loudhvx.

More
21 May 2014 10:25 #633294 by 79Bobber
Replied by 79Bobber on topic Battery and starter removal
Thanks loudhvx! :)

any brand suggestions for the battery eliminator kit? And a factory elec. igintion from a late model 440 is a simple conversion?

79 Bobbed KZ400 - chopped and lowered, solo seat, short pipes, white walls