Electrical Ugh!

More
18 May 2014 21:31 #632901 by Markovich
Electrical Ugh! was created by Markovich
So, I have my 1990 police bike that I'm trying to rewire because I removed the police equipment. There are three wires that go to the rear tail Light. One blue, one red and the blk and yellow (ground). Whats got me confused is the blue wire seems to be powered up all the time and if I am reading the schematic right it looks like it should be powered when the brake is pressed. Am I reading this wrong or have I missed something? I'm just venting as all the extra wiring is a pain indeed. I'm almost there but this is frustrating. Oh, then I noticed the neutral light and oilmpressure lights that were working aren't now. I'm sure it's something I did today but that just made me walk away. Any ideas that come to mind or easiest way to troubleshoot this?

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 May 2014 14:28 #632985 by Cynjut
Replied by Cynjut on topic Electrical Ugh!
Blue wire is your rear running light. It should be on whenever the lights inside the gauges are on. The red light looks like the brake light in the D1 schematic I have. It's separate from the Brown switched power because it operates as a stand-alone "parking light."

The oil pressure and neutral idiot lights are "ground to operate" lights, so the power to the lamps is probably out. They are both powered from the same brown "switched power" wire that runs throughout the bike. I'm gonna guess you frobbed the brown line to ground and blew the fuse.

1977 KZ-1000 A1
1982 KZ-1000 M2 Frankenbike

More
20 May 2014 15:37 #633130 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Electrical Ugh!

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)