Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?

More
14 May 2014 07:54 #632378 by painthappy
Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit? was created by painthappy
I have a 1975 KZ400 build going on and I'm right in the middle of it. Engine clutch has been fixed, aftermarket parts are hard to find, but I've been customizing a lot. I've been happy with the progress until last night.

Front directional lights took some tweaking to get them to fit and attach.

The rear directional lights? Forget it. The hole the threads need to go through before a nut can be attached is very long. Much longer than most of the aftermarket lights I've found online and the ones I currently possess.

So a two part question:

1. Where in the world can I find directional lights (cafe style) that are going to install in the existing holes. I need them there as the build for the rear fender and tail light has been built around this happening.

2. The old lights have one wire, while the new ones have two. On the front there was at least a ground for each light, on the back there only looks to be one ground wire for the two... Now what?

Thanks in advance!

Obligatory progress photo:

Current Project: 1975 KZ400 Cafe Build

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 May 2014 08:20 #632381 by painthappy
Replied by painthappy on topic Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?
Quick follow up, I'm going to see what room I have behind the tail light on where I'm going to mount it and see if there is room for a turn signal relocation mount.

More
14 May 2014 09:17 - 14 May 2014 09:17 #632389 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?
The original rear turn signals were grounded to the frame. Ed

Attachment 00005_2014-05-14-2.jpg not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:
Last edit: 14 May 2014 09:17 by 650ed.

More
14 May 2014 11:25 #632402 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?
I'd check with the state DMV(Dept. of Motor Vehicles) about rear running lights, as I believe they can be used, but the lenses must be RED, not AMBER, as this is, I believe a nation wide requirement.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
14 May 2014 11:46 #632406 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSeveral turn signal stalk part number 23051-049 are currently available on ebay, such as this example:

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
14 May 2014 12:33 #632428 by painthappy
I figured as much, but my semi-moronic question would be: Should I take the ground wire and just "ground it" to the frame? It just doesn't seem right, but I suppose...

There are new lights, not new old stock stuff... and there are two wires coming out of the light. I don't want hot going in and then electrifying a piece of metal. Again, might sound silly, but I'm new to this.

650ed wrote: The original rear turn signals were grounded to the frame. Ed

Attachment 00005_2014-05-14-2.jpg not found

More
14 May 2014 12:37 #632435 by painthappy

MFolks wrote: I'd check with the state DMV(Dept. of Motor Vehicles) about rear running lights, as I believe they can be used, but the lenses must be RED, not AMBER, as this is, I believe a nation wide requirement.

Thanks, but we're talking about directional lights, not running lights. Directional lights are Amber. The ones that come on the bike are Amber. DMV only requires that you must conform to factory equipment... Which means whatever color was there from the factory is what is acceptable.

More
14 May 2014 12:42 #632436 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?

painthappy wrote: I figured as much, but my semi-moronic question would be: Should I take the ground wire and just "ground it" to the frame? It just doesn't seem right, but I suppose...

There are new lights, not new old stock stuff... and there are two wires coming out of the light. I don't want hot going in and then electrifying a piece of metal. Again, might sound silly, but I'm new to this.

If your new lights have a ground wire you can either attach it to the frame or attach it to the black&yellow wire near the tail light. The black&yellow wire on stock bikes is ground, but before you connect to it check it to be sure no one pulled a switcheroo on the wiring. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
14 May 2014 12:46 #632437 by painthappy
Thank you! I'll double check it all, but much appreciated! That's the info I needed.

As for fitting the lights, I'm just going to have a universal rear turn signal relocator kit put on and simplify my life so I can keep the lights I want, not be forced to buy something that fits.

More
14 May 2014 14:20 - 14 May 2014 14:23 #632450 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Finding KZ400 Rear Directionals that fit?
Is it for certain that the new rear turn signal lights now on hand have single filament bulbs and not dual filament bulbs?

If a single filament bulb, one of the two wires would be ground.

If a dual filament bulb, one of the two wires would be the flasher wire, and the other would be the running light wire.

As I recall, rear blinkers usually have single filament bulbs that serve only as turn signals, and don't have dual filament bulbs that would also serve as rear running lights.

Am thinking that combo blinker and running lights with dual filament bulbs are sometimes used on the front end of a bike. [And possibly that "rear running lights" are prohibited on motorcycles.]

Is it possible that the new rear turn signal lights now on hand are actually intended as combo blinker and running lights with dual filament bulbs intended for mounting on the front end of a bike?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 May 2014 14:23 by Patton.