LED strips. Where to wire?

More
09 May 2014 18:06 #631975 by Kawilk01
LED strips. Where to wire? was created by Kawilk01
Hey guys, so everything on my kz is either black or chrome. Looks real good. But I kinda wanna show off the chrome a little bit. My thoughts where to maybe get some white LED Light strips and run them in the little lip on the underside of my tank it would throw some white light on the chrome very well! My only hang up is I'm a failure when it comes to wiring. I don't mind them being on all the time because you wouldn't be able to see them in the day and the current they draw on the system is not enough to hurt anything. Where could I get power for these at? Maybe wire in line with a headlight?i really have no clue

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2014 19:41 #631990 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic LED strips. Where to wire?
How will the LED's be mounted? Sticky tape, or screws? Are you talking about a strip, or single LED's? I'd think a strip will have polarity shown by wire colors, either WHITE, or RED, with BLACK being the Negative connection. The headlight, I'd think would be the place to tap for a power source. If possible shoot some pictures with your LED's mounted.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
09 May 2014 21:45 #631999 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic LED strips. Where to wire?
You can hook them onto the front running lights power wire. The front turn signals have dual filament bulbs, the higher power is turn signal, the lower power filament is the running light.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
09 May 2014 21:48 #632001 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic LED strips. Where to wire?
BTW, some bike went by me last week with blue LED highlights on the engine and wheels and it did look very cool.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
10 May 2014 01:25 #632005 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic LED strips. Where to wire?
The bike may have an auxiliary fuse box w a couple of unused terminals which you could use instead of tapping into the wiring.. On my 81 650 one acc lead terminates at the headlight bucket & another one is behind the left side cover; but they are always hot, having power all the time. If your bike is the same, you'd probably want to install a switch.

More
10 May 2014 04:59 - 10 May 2014 05:05 #632008 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic LED strips. Where to wire?
The wiring harness on many models may include an extra terminal which may be used to power an accessory.

Such extra terminal may show on the wiring diagram, probably at the end of a brown color wire.

Physical location could be an unused female bullet connector on a brown wire from the harness underneath a side cover, seat, tank, or inside the headlight shell.

KZrider's FILEBASE contains many wiring diagrams for various KZ models.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 10 May 2014 05:05 by Patton.

More
10 May 2014 11:10 #632037 by Kawilk01
Replied by Kawilk01 on topic LED strips. Where to wire?
Thanks for the input guys! I just decided to go straight to the battery with a switch. But now I'm stuck! These LEDs are supposed to run on 12 volts. But they won't. They will only run on the "in store demo" battery pack that came with them. I put a voltmeter to the battery pack and got 14 volts. I got almost 13 volts out of the battery on the bike. But they will not turn on when connected directly to the bike battery. My question is now is there any where I can find 14 volts on the bike to tap into?

More
10 May 2014 11:38 #632039 by MFolks
How old is your battery? Did you check the voltage with the bike at idle, and at 4000 rpm? Most bikes put out 14.5 volts D.C , and this should provide more than enough power for the LED's. Check your led polarity too.

1982 GPZ1100 B2

More
10 May 2014 12:13 #632043 by Kawilk01
Nevermind I got it figured out! Those stupid Chinese LEDs had the wires coded backwards! The one with the stripe actually needed to go to power and the one without a stripe to ground! She's wired up and working now

More
10 May 2014 12:24 #632044 by Kawilk01
Here's what the setup looks like.
Attachments:

More
10 May 2014 15:59 #632055 by MFolks
Happy it's working, I don't put much trust in Chinese wiring, so double check any electrical items from China in the future.

1982 GPZ1100 B2