Missing wire on regulator?

More
26 Apr 2014 09:31 #630487 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Missing wire on regulator?
I also ran the 12V output of the R/R directly to the battery, with an inline fuse installed. Worked just dandy.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Apr 2014 10:15 #630497 by kzz1king
Replied by kzz1king on topic Missing wire on regulator?
What amp fuse did you use?
Wayne

koolaid_kid wrote: I also ran the 12V output of the R/R directly to the battery, with an inline fuse installed. Worked just dandy.

74 Z1 1075, 29 smoothbores, owned and ridden since 1976
Home built KZ1000 turbo setup

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532476...s-budget-turbo-build

www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/532489-74-z-makeover

More
26 Apr 2014 10:44 #630500 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Missing wire on regulator?
There is a relationship between the fuse between the R/R and the battery and the main fuse on the fuse block. In my case, my fuse block had a 15A main fuse, so I went with a 25A fuse. A 20A fuse would have worked, but would have yielded a much smaller margin of error.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2014 08:16 #630562 by phillyman2633
Replied by phillyman2633 on topic Missing wire on regulator?
Ok so looking into the setup I have now...on the receiving wiring harness on the bike, it goes (from top left)

Black/yellow - White/Red - Brown
Yellow - Yellow - Yellow

On the new regulator, the setup is:

Brown - EMPTY - Black
Yellow - Yellow - Yellow

So it looks like the colors would all line up if I installed, minus the missing White/Red...

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

More
27 Apr 2014 08:42 - 27 Apr 2014 08:49 #630563 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Missing wire on regulator?
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationAre you sure the new R/R has a brown wire? From the 1st photo in the topic post, it looks Red to me.
Did it come w a schematic or diagram?
How about a link or ebbaayy item number?

Here's an example of a 5-wire R/R.
3 yellow alt wires, 1 Red power wire, 1 black ground wire.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2014 08:49 by martin_csr.

More
27 Apr 2014 08:56 #630565 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Missing wire on regulator?

phillyman2633 wrote: Ok so looking into the setup I have now...on the receiving wiring harness on the bike, it goes (from top left)

Black/yellow - White/Red - Brown
Yellow - Yellow - Yellow

On the new regulator, the setup is:

Brown - EMPTY - Black
Yellow - Yellow - Yellow

So it looks like the colors would all line up if I installed, minus the missing White/Red...

Those wires on the new reg/rec in the first photo are brown, black, and 3 yellow?
Not red, black, and 3 yellow?
That's unusual.

It's still not right if the new brown lines up with the old brown. You would never want to charge through the brown wire on the harness. It's too small, and would bypass all the fuses, not to mention the kill switch and ignition switch.

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2014 09:01 #630568 by phillyman2633

loudhvx wrote: Those wires on the new reg/rec in the first photo are brown, black, and 3 yellow?
Not red, black, and 3 yellow?
That's unusual.

Well, maybe it is a red...it's like a dark red if so, I just thought it was brown to match up with the existing. If that's the case, what wires do I need to move around to get it to work? The seller says it's a drop-in replacement, so I don't know what to think here.

Democracy is nothing more than mob rule, where 51% of the people may take away the rights of the other 49% - Thomas Jefferson

More
27 Apr 2014 09:09 - 27 Apr 2014 09:10 #630569 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Missing wire on regulator?
If the heavy reddish wire lines up with a skinny brown wire, it is not right. Maybe the original wiring was altered in the past (unlikely, but possible).

You can try to run it that way, but as a test rev the bike up and try to turn it off with the ignition switch.
Last edit: 27 Apr 2014 09:10 by loudhvx.

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Apr 2014 10:05 #630579 by phillyman2633
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

martin_csr wrote: Are you sure the new R/R has a brown wire? From the 1st photo in the topic post, it looks Red to me.
Did it come w a schematic or diagram?
How about a link or ebbaayy item number?

This is the exact item I purchased...no schematic included.

More
27 Apr 2014 12:18 - 28 Apr 2014 05:39 #630592 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Missing wire on regulator?
Make sure the wires line up as follows. You may have to rearrange them in the new R/R connector.

Alternator wires: 3 yellow wires -->> 3 yellow wires of new R/R

Power wire: white/red wire -->> Red wire of new R/R

Ground wire: black/yellow wire -->> Black wire of new R/R

Brown wire from wire harness/connector: do not connect anything to the brown wire.
I would leave it unused in the wire harness connector (ie, not connected to anything).

PS: if you have to rearrange the wires in the connector but don't have a proper terminal pin extractor tool, you can probably use a paper clip or something thin like that to depress the little tabs on the brass terminals. Practice on the used voltage regulator first to avoid damaging the new part.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2014 05:39 by martin_csr.

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
28 Apr 2014 05:34 #630661 by phillyman2633
Awesome man you guys are a huge help...I'll get back later this week when I have a chance to screw around with it.

• phillyman2633
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 May 2014 14:20 - 08 May 2014 14:28 #631837 by phillyman2633
Ok so I got the regulator all hooked up and have been running it for about 2 weeks. It fired right up and ran fine after I installed, so I didn't really do any testing. Oops. I have noticed over the last few days that when I come to a red light or a stop and use the brakes, the lights dim. The lights dim/brighten/dim/brighten etc.. when the flasher blinks. If I'm using the brakes and the turn signal at the same time, say, sitting at a red light waiting for a turn, the flasher blinks veeeeeery sloooowly. Earlier today, the turn signal just stayed on for like 30 seconds straight, not blinking.

So screwing around with the voltmeter while I'm riding, I get like 12 volts at idle. When I'm holding the brakes down, my volts drop down to like 11, or even 10.5. However, when I'm on the road and holding like 3-4k RPM, it's spitting out 16 volts...the meter is literally pegged at the high side. I'm assuming this means the regulator is bad, right? Or does it have something to do with it not having that brown wire?

BTW, the battery is brand new, I only got it like a week before I put the new regulator in.

Last edit: 08 May 2014 14:28 by phillyman2633.