Kz750 Dyna S timing issue

More
20 Apr 2014 13:02 #629740 by spectre25
Kz750 Dyna S timing issue was created by spectre25
Hello,

I've owned a kz750 Spectre for a couple of years now. Love it.

But last summer I had tons of starting/ignition issues... Before winter hit: a starter rebuild, new solenoid, new battery and a Dyna S Ignition System was installed.

Now it's time to ride and it's so close to running.. I actually had it running but the power through acceleration was really poor and had some backfiring, at carbs and pipes. More at the carbs though...
I cleaned the carbs, replaced the air filter, and cleaned up the intake mounts in case they were cracked.

Now that it's all back together, I spent the morning trying to set the timing. Won't even start. Tried setting it statically so I could start it, then use the strobe..

As per Dyna's instructions, I had a test light set up and tried turning the motor to line up the F1-4 timing marks via the light turning on... The light would only turn on on the opposing T (not closest), shifting the plate didn't help much either.

Any suggestions? Am I missing something?

Everything I've searched has addressed small dyna timing issues or wiring.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2014 13:06 #629741 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Kz750 Dyna S timing issue
Sounds like the Dyna S may have blown up since it is not functioning on the 1-4 side.

Did you replace the coils? The Dyna S is not compatible with the stock coils for a Spectre750. You need 3-ohm or higher coils. Using lower ohm coils (stock is around 2.5) can shorten the life of the Dyna S.

More
20 Apr 2014 13:22 #629743 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Kz750 Dyna S timing issue
There is trouble shooting info available on the Dyna website. It's been awhile for me but I remember there is a way to test the module by advancing it while having a test light probe in the coil leads. Has to be dine for 1-4 & 2-3. Allows you to make sure the coil is getting the signal. Dyna carries a 1 year warranty so do all the testing on their site, write the info down and call them. Hold times are long but they are great guys to talk to. If its under warranty they will have you send them the module for testing. If you used the wrong coils your warranty is void.

Good luck.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
04 May 2014 09:10 #631287 by spectre25
Replied by spectre25 on topic Kz750 Dyna S timing issue
Sorry for such a long time between posts...

Thanks for the feedback.

I hadn't had a lot of time to work on the bike, but did figure out the small issue with original post:
Realized that the static timing test light was lighting up on almost the exact opposite side of the advancer unit. Retraced some steps and realized that when I put the black centre piece onto the crankshaft, the magnet was facing the 2/3 nodule, not 1/4.

However, still some issues. When I first start it. Fires right up, but bogs when I apply the throttle. Immediately. I then try to dynamically test the timing with the Strobe light hooked into plug 4 and despite the static timing test light glowing at the F 1-4 mark, the Strobe doesn't show any sign of the marks in the window.

The more I work on it, the less it starts. (Despite the marks being right and set as before. Also rarely been working on it long enough to drain the battery or flood the engine, IMO.) Pulled the plugs one by one to see if I had a spark (on the engine block) and had no spark on 1 and weak on the rest. Then it started raining. So I couldn't check the (stock) Ignition coils. Which had been ok last time I had checked, but its been a while.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.
Nate