Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Bypass ignition switch? 06 Apr 2014 22:39 #628146

• Hemp
  • Hemp's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My 1980 KZ750 Twin project hit a snag. Plan is to chop and bypass the key ignition switch and use a simple toggle switch instead. I will be relying on my disk lock for security. I installed a 30amp toggle switch and circuit breaker in between the starter solenoid and battery that successfully switches all systems power on/off. Hit a snag when I incorrectly assumed after tossing the key switch I could wrap all harness ignition wires together so everything gets energized when I flip the toggle switch but that doesn't seem to work.

Does anyone know which harness wires should be spliced together? Pictures of wires below.

To reiterate my toggle switch and circuit breaker (pictured below) work with the original key switch installed.

Top wires are to key switch. Bottom wires are from bikes harness.

I chopped a piece of angle iron and bolted to my crude battery box

10guage white wire connects positive battery to breaker. Then breaker to toggle switch. Then Toggle switch to starter solenoid which I plan on removing at a later date. Pink heat shrink yet to be shrunk

Help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bypass ignition switch? 08 Apr 2014 21:12 #628375

• Hemp
  • Hemp's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well I figured it out. The system energizes when I isolate the yellow wire and bundle the rest. I flip the switch, kick her over and she fires right up.

More wires eliminated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: