Dyna S Issues...help!

More
01 Apr 2014 18:28 - 01 Apr 2014 19:15 #627478 by bLodi
Dyna S Issues...help! was created by bLodi
So, I've been working on my 71 Z1 over the winter slowly (rebuilding carbs, replacing leaking gaskets...etc. etc.)
I have a Dyna S ignition, Dyna Green 3.0 ohm coils. WG coil wiring mod.

I got the point a few weeks ago where i was running it to set sync the carbs and set the ignition timing. I was noticing that when I had my timing light hooked up to cylinder 4 I was seeing 2/3 on the timing advancer. But the same also when I switched to the #3 wire or any of them. I pulled the plugs. I noticed that the 1/4 plugs were noticeably more black than the 2/3 plugs. I pulled the 3 and 4 plugs out touched them to the engine block with the wires hooked to them. The# 3 plug fired, the #4 didn't. I swapped the plugs just to rule out the plugs. They were fine.
So I was obviously not getting spark to 1/4 and my timing light was actually just picking up the signal from 2/3 since there was no signal from the wire it was on.
I removed the WG wiring mod just to eliminate that from the possible failure. Still the same results. Tested power to both coils and they were fine. I then swapped the signal black/green wires to the coils to see if it was one coil or the other that was bad and when I turned the ignition on the 2/3 pickup started smoking! I quickly turned off the ignition. I swapped back the signal wires. Now....no spark from either coil. So looks like my Dyna S is cooked. But what caused it? Is it possible for a coil to fry a pickup? I found the Dyna S testing guide and will dig into it tomorrow, but wanted to see if anyone has any ideas. I've been running this setup on my bike for 6-7 years I would say and never had issues. Do the Dyna S's just die sometimes? I'd hate to get a new Dyna S and put it in and have it get damaged right away. I guess I could re install the stock ignition setup and see what's what. Help, I'm so confused!

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2014 19:15 by bLodi.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2014 03:27 - 02 Apr 2014 03:30 #627498 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Dyna S Issues...help!
"timing light hooked up to cylinder 4 I was seeing 2/3 on the timing advancer".... :huh: :dry: :huh:

Dyna S T-shooting....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Apr 2014 03:30 by Old Man Rock.

More
02 Apr 2014 05:09 #627501 by bLodi
Replied by bLodi on topic Dyna S Issues...help!

Old Man Rock wrote: "timing light hooked up to cylinder 4 I was seeing 2/3 on the timing advancer".... :huh: :dry: :huh:

I know, I was confused too. All 4 wires were picking up a signal from the 2/3 wires since there was no spark going to 1/4. I checked the wiring again and again and it's exactly like the above diagram, except for I never soldered the red wire connection, just used the splicer, so I'll change that with the new one . I haven't touched the setup since I installed it years ago and it's been running fine until now.

I'm going to order a new Dyna S today to get one coming and tonight I'll put the old ignition back in to see if I get spark.

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1
V&H 4-1 Header, Pod Filters, Dyna Ignition, Dyna Coils, Dyna Wires, lowering kit...much more.

More
02 Apr 2014 08:42 #627519 by bLodi
New Dyna S ordered....also ordered a new regulator since I don't know that mine has ever been changed. I suppose that could have killed it.

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1

More
03 Apr 2014 05:19 #627632 by bLodi
Well, last night I put in the original ignition setup. That got it sparking back on 2/3 again. I then noticed the 1/4 signal wire from the ignition to the coil was getting hot. I turned off the ignition, unplugged the signal wires and plugged the 2/3 coil to the 1/4 signal wire from the ignition. Turned it on, no hot wires and spark from the #3 plug. So that tells me the 1/4 coil went bad and smoked my Dyna S. So, ordered a new pair of Dyna Coils...gonna be doing a whole lot of ignition/wiring work this weekend it looks like!

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1

More
09 Apr 2014 06:09 #628392 by bLodi
Update...put in new coils, regulator and Dyna S. All cylinders have spark now. They actually did after just putting in new coils. I'm thinking maybe the regulator (original) went bad and somehow blew out one of the coils which then blew out my ignition? At any rate, works great now.

www.blodisign.com
\\\\\\\'74 Z1

More
09 Apr 2014 07:17 #628399 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Dyna S Issues...help!
bLodi don't forget that you now have a warranty on your new ignition. Dyna replaced mine because it went bad after 3 months. Since they replaced it I have not had any issues. Glad to hear you found your issue. Dyna also has a great tech support staff to assist when having issues.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project