No start

More
23 Mar 2014 18:59 #626309 by Markovich
No start was created by Markovich
Hi all, so I have been working on a 1990 KZ100P. I disconnected the wiring for the siren and pursuit lights as I have removed the police equipment. Anyway, I have been getting close to starting so today I finished up the fuel hookups and went for start. The starter began to turn over the engine and then nothing. The lights on the Guages are lit but there is not even a click of the selonoid. Looking for the best sequence of checks I should do so I avoid randomn checks. Thanks in advance for the advice. Keith

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2014 22:00 #626316 by floivanus
Replied by floivanus on topic No start
Check the kickstand lockout switch and pull the clutch in before trying to hit the start button?

my bikes; 80kz1000(project), 77 gl1000, 74 h2 (project)
Past; 78 kz1000, 83 kz550
Andrew

More
24 Mar 2014 03:32 #626321 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic No start
Add the battery to the list of things to check first.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys

More
24 Mar 2014 05:31 #626325 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic No start
After that, check the voltages at your solenoid:
Battery side post = 12V always.
Starter button terminal = 12V when starter button pushed.
Starter side post = 12V when starter button pushed and starter button terminal has 12V.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
27 Mar 2014 20:24 #626850 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic No start
I checked the starter lockout for continuity, new battery, checked starter switch for continuity all good. Kickstand switch removed as was damaged in PO crash. Should the kickstand wires be separated or wired together? I was looking at the wiring diagram and noticed it said the starter button wiring was red and black. At the coupling I have a black wire and a yellow wire mating up to it. The yellow wire is not on the diagram at that coupling. Does the power for the starter switch go thru the kill switch? Does it go thru some other circuit? I am trying not to go too far with modifying more than necessary. Lastly, the fuse on the passenger side of the fuse box does not show power with the key on. All the other fuses are powered up. What am I missing here? I know I seem to be jumping around a bit but ADD will do that? :)

1990 KZ1000P, 72k miles, 10 years in storage, new, bars, tires, chain and sprockets, seat, carbs cleaned, police equipement removed.

More
28 Mar 2014 15:03 #626925 by Markovich
Replied by Markovich on topic No start
Another question I have is should all of the fuses be tergised wen the key is turned on? Thanks for the help! It is nice to have a resource like KZR. Great site!