Coil Voltage: Getting Closer

More
19 Mar 2014 12:07 #625775 by daless
Coil Voltage: Getting Closer was created by daless
Months back, when putting in a new harness, there were three female bullet connectors under the tank with nowhere to go: brown, brown/white, and blue/white. Realized they were meant to go up to a headlight switch, however, my bike came with the switch removed. I had no power to the headlight until I touched all three together.

At the time, I didn't have the proper connectors, so I rigged up a sketchy connection with automotive connectors and a spare female piece with four inputs. The headlight lit up and the bike started, so I was satisfied for the time being.

More recently, going through everything to locate a two volt drop at the coils , I noticed if i disconnected those wires voltage shot right up to where it should be, albeit no headlight. Figured, "Okay, lets get some proper connectors on there with proper crimps and that should help." It did, a little. I got back one volt, but still could use one more.

Now I'm thinking if I wire up an actual headlight switch and connect it to those wires how it was meant to be, that may solve things, no? Any input much appreciated as always, though I'm not interested in any band-aids here. Gotta fix it right!

'77 KZ1000A1 - Mikuni VM29s, Kerker 4-1, K&N pods, LTD mags, Z2 seat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 14:13 #625787 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer
Do you have a shop manual with the wiring diagram? If not, maybe these websites can help you:

Manuals (Some of these websites sell used manuals, just ask)
www.repairmanual.com
www.manualsnmore.com
www.midwestmanuals.com/
www.books4cars.com/
www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
moto-manuals.com/
www.e-classicbike.com/
www.repairthatmotorcycle.com/manuals/kawasaki.html

Also, www.easternbeaver.com has many electrical connectors on their website.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Mar 2014 15:13 #625796 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer
What voltage are you getting at what RPM? (It goes up as RPM increases)

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
19 Mar 2014 15:55 #625800 by daless
Replied by daless on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer
I'm going off the diagram in the Clymer manual. That's how I figured out those extra wires were supposed to go to a headlight switch. It's been pretty helpful so far.

The voltage I'm reading isn't with the bike running. It's just with the key turned on. At this point I'm just trying to get the coils to match what I read on the battery, about 12 - 13v or so. Once I get there I'll start her up and see if voltage increases as it should.

More
19 Mar 2014 17:21 #625814 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer
If it is with the engine not running I would expect a voltage drop because you are pulling 65 watts (5.5 Amps) with the headlight on.
A more valid test would be to start her up and then start checking the voltages at different RPMs.
And on that bike I would find a headlight switch so you can supply maximum current to the starter, as intended.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
19 Mar 2014 18:03 #625822 by daless
I see. Guess I'll wire up the headlight switch first, then do a running test and see if all checks out.

More
19 Mar 2014 19:42 #625838 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer

daless wrote: ...Now I'm thinking if I wire up an actual headlight switch and connect it to those wires how it was meant to be, that may solve things... Gotta fix it right!

If needed, here's a link to download the wiring diagram from KZr's FILEBASE:
www.kzrider.com/filebase/search/finish/1-general/246-z1000a1

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• 78z1Joe
  • User
  • My man cave is my garage....
More
19 Mar 2014 19:47 #625839 by 78z1Joe
Replied by 78z1Joe on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer
Have you seen this? I have not tried it yet but it's similar to the coil re-powering relay.
www.motorcycleclassics.com/mc-how-to/ins...y.aspx#axzz2wT1L2HGq

1978 KZ 1000
1982 GS 300 training bike
Previous Rides...
75 RD 350
72 CB 500 Four
72 SL 125
71 CT 70
69 3 1/2 HP mini bike

More
20 Mar 2014 17:34 - 20 Mar 2014 18:02 #625946 by daless
The relay looks cool, but I'd rather wire up a headlight switch for now. Ran into some trouble with that today, however.

I put together a nice new piece out of a right hand control that had a switch in it. Only problems were the wires weren't long enough and one was missing. Took off the two that were there, thinking I could solder new ones in, but it seems damn near impossible. I'm sure some of you have seen these things before:

Attachment IMG_20140320_195651.jpg not found

Attachment IMG_20140320_195722.jpg not found

I can heat up the flat side, but the heat won't seem to transfer through. It just gets the plastic around it hot. Maybe I'm just terrible at soldering, but I'm starting to think I should junk the switch and find another one with all the wires already attached. No luck so far. Any suggestions?

I see Z1E has a KZ900 right hand control I could probably use the switch out of. Right hands are so much less common than lefts. Especially ones with a headlight switch.

Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Mar 2014 18:02 by daless. Reason: Update

More
20 Mar 2014 18:05 - 20 Mar 2014 18:06 #625948 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer

78z1Joe wrote: Have you seen this? I have not tried it yet but it's similar to the coil re-powering relay.
www.motorcycleclassics.com/mc-how-to/ins...y.aspx#axzz2wT1L2HGq

I'd be careful about using a relay for the headlight. It adds another single point of failure to the headlight circuit, and if the relay fails - no light. This could be particularly bad on a curvy road at night. Relays don't fail often, but they do fail sometimes. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Last edit: 20 Mar 2014 18:06 by 650ed.

More
27 Mar 2014 18:10 #626829 by daless
Now that the headlight switch is in properly I re-tested voltage with it turned off. This is still without the bike running, but I'm not sure if I should be concerned about what I found:

At the pigtail with no coils plugged into it I read 12

With the right coil plugged in it was 11.5

With the left plugged in it was 12

Now at the end of each coil's separate wire the left read 11.5 and the right was 12. Is all that weird or nothing to worry about?

More
27 Mar 2014 18:48 #626837 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Coil Voltage: Getting Closer
When I was going thru the wiring on my bike a 1/2 volt drop was the best I could get to. I think that's normal with the coils plugged in.

I believe the reason you have 12 on one side and 11.5 on the other is because one set of points is open and the other set is closed dropping some voltage to ground thru the points/condenser. Rotate the engine and see if that .5V drop goes from one side to the other.

If I'm way off, sorry, it was last summer since I thought about this stuff when I was going thru mine.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F