wire sizes for wire harness

More
19 Mar 2014 07:07 #625745 by mac0239
wire sizes for wire harness was created by mac0239
Anyone know the sizes of wire required to rewire a harness?
searched forum and can't seem to find sizes required so if anyone has a link to post i am searching for or has done this and knows what the correct OEM wire is to use i would be pretty happy to hear it.
as well is there a temp rating i need to ensure?? Can i use bigger wire ( ie: 14 guage where 16 or 18 guage was used?)
Long since gave up search for a new harness so just going to duplicate/replace all wires on a used harness. I have electrical background but this isn't easy like wiring a house. can't find info on wire guages used anywhere even in my shop manual for bike.
i have already picked up new connectors etc but stumped on what guage and temp rating of wire i should be hunting down.
Anyone know??
thanks in advance for any help.
steve

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 07:27 #625747 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic wire sizes for wire harness
z1 enterprizes sells a new harness, Not sure if it is for all KZ bikes. If it is not on their website give them a call. They have great customer service. I opted to build one. I had to buy the wire off eBay. There is a link in my signature for my build which has the eBay info. The down side is the wire is mostly 16 gauge in order to get most of the factory colors. The are a handful of colors that need to be bigger. Battery, and some to the starter relay etc

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
19 Mar 2014 07:37 #625750 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic wire sizes for wire harness
Most are 18 gauge with a few 20 gauge.
No real need to go larger if you use quality wire and connectors.
The power wires from the R/R might be 16 gauge.
The starter wire is around 12 gauge.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
19 Mar 2014 07:38 #625751 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic wire sizes for wire harness
thanks man, no luck at Z1. tried there. and the wire they sell he said was mostly just for repair and not for a rewire.
yeah Battery cable i believe is 4 guage. that much i figured out. the rest of wiring varies though and finding out the guages is tricky. my bike is a kz1000st shaftie . no new harnesses to be found anywhere. been ebaying and googling it for prob two years. found one place that had one showing for sale and when i inquired he said oops sorry it was a typo and he had no new ones just old cooked ones. i ordered new connectors and bought old harness for my bike off ebay to put on my shop bench and replicate with new wire but still in search for size wires to pick up to do this.
Harness should arrive in mail any day. Can't wait to get started.
cheers.

Green 79' KZ1000st engine-1075 Wiseco kit, k&n pods, dyna ig & coils, and very old Kerker 4 into 1 pipes
Other project- orig Red 79' KZ1000st engine-stock so far with mystery black 4/1 header TBD

More
19 Mar 2014 07:47 #625753 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic wire sizes for wire harness
4 gauge sounds right from the battery to the solenoid and solenoid to the starter. It pulls 50+ amps.
The only other things that pull a fairly high current load is the headlight (~65 watts, and it is fairly long, and from the battery to the fuse block.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.

More
19 Mar 2014 10:51 #625765 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic wire sizes for wire harness
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationThis is where I got my wire

He will do custom orders for you. Pick your colors and lengths. It is quality wire.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
19 Mar 2014 11:16 #625770 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic wire sizes for wire harness
www.cwswiring.com/ (Creative Wiring Solutions, makers of new
wiring harness) See if they have, or can make you a new harness.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
19 Mar 2014 11:27 #625771 by mac0239
Replied by mac0239 on topic wire sizes for wire harness
thanks all for great tips. have sent off requests to those wire places and will see if this gets me on track getting a new harness or all the wire to redo myself.
much appreciated guys.
cheers,
steve