Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000

More
18 Mar 2014 11:48 #625661 by chconger
Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000 was created by chconger
Hi Guys

I would like to be able to clean some crud on the inside glass of my "clocks" (as they say in the UK.)

Is there a trick to opening these things up? I have the backs off but that only exposes the connectors for the lamps. To go deep inside it appears I need to bend open the crimped ring on the outside? Looks impossible to open without damaging the ring...?

I hope there is a simple secret to this...?

Thanks
Chris

1977 KZ 1000-A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
18 Mar 2014 12:43 #625663 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
I have seen a few threads devoted to this subject....you might try a forum search...but yeah, you hafta carefully pry them open!

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
18 Mar 2014 17:26 #625696 by kaw-a-holic
Replied by kaw-a-holic on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000

chconger wrote: Hi Guys

I would like to be able to clean some crud on the inside glass of my "clocks" (as they say in the UK.)

Is there a trick to opening these things up? I have the backs off but that only exposes the connectors for the lamps. To go deep inside it appears I need to bend open the crimped ring on the outside? Looks impossible to open without damaging the ring...?

I hope there is a simple secret to this...?

Thanks
Chris

Chris,
Here is a link from a quick search in the forum.
www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/592799-8...lens-cleaning#623132

There is a link on the last past on how to take them apart. From what I have read, it is not an easy job, lots of patience is required. Once you get them apart you have to be careful removing the needles. An old trick is using 2 spoons from the kitchen, one on each side. Caution! The needle and other bits may depart the gauge quite rapidly so a spotter is advised. The rings are never the same again. A special machine is used to put them on during manufacturing. Resto.com I believe will do this for you, but its not cheap. They do quality work.

Jon
1977 KZ1000a1
Mesa, AZ
Phoenix Fighter Project

More
18 Mar 2014 19:24 #625705 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
This link may be of interest:

Click > www.zresto.com/

Here's a diy option from an earlier thread ---

duncan wrote:
i've taken the tach apart but not the speedo. it's real easy if you use a dremel to cut the chrome ring, and then some jweld and hose clamp to cement it back together.

apeman wrote:
The old article suggests removing the band around the gauges by levering it up from the underside. I have found that results in too much damage to the band to make it look good after it is put back on, and crimped down. Therefore, I instead took a dremel with a cut-off wheel to the band, and sliced through it, being carefull not to damage the gauge cover. Then I slipped off the band, and did my gauge clean-up. To reinstall, I assembled the cover onto the gauge, slipped the band on, and held it tightly in place with a rubber band. Then I placed a drop of JBweld epoxy onto the gap in the band, and let it dry. (Make sure you mount the gap in the band at an location that will not be readily visible when the gauge is remounted onto the bike.) That has been working well for over a year.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: bikerguy

More
19 Mar 2014 04:42 #625731 by chconger
Replied by chconger on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
Thanks Guys

As I feared, the problem is getting the ring off and back on without butchering it. Looks like z-resto has refined some tooling to do this properly; but $95 a pop is not in this years budget.

Crud on my glass is not looking so bad all of a sudden....

Cheers
Chris

1977 KZ 1000-A

• Z1Driver
  • User
  • love the smell of triple smoke
More
19 Mar 2014 10:25 #625764 by Z1Driver
Replied by Z1Driver on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
I would spend the $95.00. I sent a set of Z1 gauges to Z-Resto and they came back looking and working like new. They had new glass, red line is not pink. :ohmy:

Blue 1975 Z1B
Red 2009 Concours 14

More
19 Mar 2014 13:46 #625782 by spdygon
Replied by spdygon on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
z1 enterprice has repo for 115 for the tech and 175 for the speedometer.....
most charge 90 for the restore and extra for extra parts and labor. if your gauges need parts it will total up preety quick.

1982 GS1000sz Katana ( #15...17K Miles)
1982 GS1000sz Katana ( # 297....7100k Miles)
1978 Kz1000 Z1R. 10K Miles1
1978 kz1000 z1r 27k miles
1977 KZ 1000 A ( Project ) 54K Miles
1976 Kz900A4 (Red)21K miles
1976 Kz900A4 ( Red)7500 miles
1974 Z1 900 project

More
20 Mar 2014 13:46 #625920 by jakedude
Replied by jakedude on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
I recently opened both my speedometer and tachometer to clean the inside of the glass lens on both gauges. I started out trying to pry the ring off the speedometer and quickly gave up on that path. instead I just cut across the ring on the bottom side with a dremel tool to slip the ring off. Then after cleaning the glass and reassembling the gauges, I drilled small holes on either side of the ring cut, inserted mechanics wire into the holes and then twisted the wire to make the rings snug again. After that I put on some RTV over the wire and cut gap. Since the wire job is on the bottom of each gauge someone would have to look for the repair to notice. Lots better than obviously dirty glass lenses.

Nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect.

More
24 Mar 2014 11:01 #626370 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
If it helps, here is another way to open the clocks. Simple hand tools modified to use for this practice. A piece of PVC 4" pipe milled out to hold instrument, needle-nose pliers, flatblade screwdriver, tape, old Kaw Sprocket and Patience. Been doing these for years, way before the aftermarket faces/overlays were available. Never have had to cut the ring. No Spoons to pull-up the needle. The spoon trick is actually a Bad idea. Two E-clips are all that hold the needle shaft in alignment. Loading these e-clips can cause unseen damage. Hold the Drag-Cup off its resting limiter and Twist to loosen while pulling away from face. If reusing face, trim your fingernails to prevent scratching face or use painters tape. The sprocket is actually a Perfect fit for the Upper Can. The cut-out notch is for the crimping tool. This might be a bit too involved if you are only doing a single set but it's on the cheap. Plus it's fun to experiment! Then you can start Painting your Original Faces! Clay
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, undiablo

More
24 Mar 2014 11:25 #626372 by pete greek1
Replied by pete greek1 on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
Had mine done at Z-Resto, & they look & work like New,

1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!
Attachments:

More
24 Mar 2014 11:43 #626374 by undiablo
Replied by undiablo on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000

asphalt900 wrote: If it helps, here is another way to open the clocks. Simple hand tools modified to use for this practice. A piece of PVC 4" pipe milled out to hold instrument, needle-nose pliers, flatblade screwdriver, tape, old Kaw Sprocket and Patience. Been doing these for years, way before the aftermarket faces/overlays were available. Never have had to cut the ring. No Spoons to pull-up the needle. The spoon trick is actually a Bad idea. Two E-clips are all that hold the needle shaft in alignment. Loading these e-clips can cause unseen damage. Hold the Drag-Cup off its resting limiter and Twist to loosen while pulling away from face. If reusing face, trim your fingernails to prevent scratching face or use painters tape. The sprocket is actually a Perfect fit for the Upper Can. The cut-out notch is for the crimping tool. This might be a bit too involved if you are only doing a single set but it's on the cheap. Plus it's fun to experiment! Then you can start Painting your Original Faces! Clay

Sorry, I don't understand what is the sprocket for. Could you explain a little mote?

Kawasaki KZ 750/4 LTD 1981
Kawasaki KLR 650 2011
Argentina - Buenos Aires

More
24 Mar 2014 12:06 #626375 by asphalt900
Replied by asphalt900 on topic Open up Tach and Spedo on 77 KZ1000
Hello! The Sprocket "holds" the clock while you crimp. It just provides a stable base for this procedure. There is just enough room, after you wrap upper can with tape, to spin the clock while crimping. This way you don't end-up with a ring that bunches/bulges because of uneven pressure while doing this. Think Clock 12:00, 6:00, 3:00 9:00 a bit at a time. Then 1:30, 7:30, 4;30, 10:30. NOT completely crimping on first pass, just slowly tightening with each pass. Hope this Helps, Clay
Attachments: