Speedo, Rpm, & Fuel gauge issues from a rook

More
16 Mar 2014 16:20 #625463 by SgtHippy
Evening everyone,
81 Kz1000 ltd...took the gauges off the broken bracket. I would like to replace speedo, rpm, fuel gauge with a single gauge unit for simplicity and lines of this beautiful girl.

When I disconnected the gauges' electrical connectors (3 on speedo, 3 on rpm, etc..), Lady Penny would not start. Now, I presume I broke the complete circuit of wire tree, seems obvious BUT....
1. How do I eliminate all these connections without sacrificing total electrical circuit?
2. Anyone know of this issue?
3. Any leads on where to find an all inclusive, one-piece gauge?
4. Is there a specific connector/converter I can use to attach an aftermarket gauge? Like that one would use to put a new car stereo in an older vehicle? (I haven't purchased one yet, but I presume the connections are relatively universal in 2014 compared to 1981!! haha (which by the way I was negative 3 years old!)
5. Is there a configuration of the connections I can tie them together or something like that?

Obviously by now you know I'm a rookie from hell about this...but I'll be damned if I'm going to pay someone to do something I can figure out and do myself...just need some mentorship from you fine ladies and gentlemen.

Hope all is well, let the good times roll.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2014 13:22 #626048 by Racewayelko
Replied by Racewayelko on topic Speedo, Rpm, & Fuel gauge issues from a rook
I can (partially) answer one of your questions, I have looked at Koso gauges and they seem to be pretty solid. Their customer support is pretty good, they should have adapters and the such for their gauges. I am pretty new also but that is what I know from going to the IMS :) keep it rubber side down

Keep it rubber side down everyone :)
Klx 110, TTr125, TTr250, 1982 kz750-N1 (Spectre), Xt-350 (soon to be the new home of a Kz550 engine :) )

More
21 Mar 2014 15:10 #626069 by MFolks
Instrument Gauges
www.teltek.us/ www.kosonorthamerica.com/new/ (High quality Gauges & Accessories)
Do you have a shop manual with the wiring diagram? You'll need one to sort out what goes where.

Manuals (Some of these websites sell used manuals, just ask)
www.repairmanual.com (Use # 99924-1026-03 for Kawasaki 1981-2005 Kz/Z1000 Factory Service Manual)
www.manualsnmore.com
www.midwestmanuals.com/
www.books4cars.com/
www.repairmanualclub.com/motomanuals/
moto-manuals.com/
www.e-classicbike.com/
www.repairthatmotorcycle.com/manuals/kawasaki.html
www.kawiworld.com/index.php?option=com_c...icle&id=77&Itemid=99

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Racewayelko