81 Kz1000k LTD, Elec issue

More
18 Mar 2014 22:36 #625715 by Pacemaker
Replied by Pacemaker on topic 81 Kz1000k LTD, Elec issue
Thank you both for all the help, and the crazy thing is I don't lose everything, i still have lights, instrumentation cluster, and i've ruled out the lockout because clutch in it makes the rpm lever bump and with it out it does nothing, so that switch is fine, looks like im just going to cut the harness open and visually check all wires and run through them with my multimeter

1981 KZ1000 LTD
2001 ZR750-H1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Mar 2014 03:32 #625724 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 81 Kz1000k LTD, Elec issue

Pacemaker wrote: ... I don't lose everything, i still have lights, instrumentation cluster... looks like im just going to cut the harness open and visually check all wires and run through them with my multimeter

Before cutting into the harness, would check for battery voltage at both ends of each fuse, and also assure the integrity of both connections at the ends of each fuse.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pacemaker

More
20 Mar 2014 15:10 #625930 by Pacemaker
Replied by Pacemaker on topic 81 Kz1000k LTD, Elec issue
SOOOOOOOO.....I've heard the word headlight used several times, and i decided to pop it open and see what all the fuss was about, now excuse my language but it is a bit of a cluster f*ck in there, i was a male and female connector that was partially attached and i made sure it was jammed in there completely and the bike fired up, but when i pulled it back to where it was barely connected thee bike wouldn't run, but i can't seem to recreate the issue i was having where the rpm guage would bump when i hit start, this time it acts like the clutch isn't in at all and the lockout is kicking in, but with those wires connected it fires right back up, so i guess my issue is in my headlight or in the tangled mess of wires that it holds, reckon i'll just have to dive in and wiggle every connection untill i can recreate the issue

1981 KZ1000 LTD
2001 ZR750-H1

More
20 Mar 2014 18:19 #625953 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic 81 Kz1000k LTD, Elec issue
The headlight shell is an excellent place to go in and start cleaning connectors (I use Deoxit) and making sure they are fully conneted.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.