Headlight problem - hi beam ok but no low beam

• Clabedan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 750 B
More
13 Mar 2014 12:31 #625061 by Clabedan
Hi,
I seem to habe some sort of headlight problem... The tiny bulb at the bottom works fine and the bigh beam too... But I have no low beam...
The small bulb is not powerful enough for night driving so I need to be in full beam mode to see anything. Both small and big bulbs are brand new. Any idea why? :unsure:

1976 KZ 750 B soon to be street tracked

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2014 12:49 #625062 by MFolks
Remove the headlight from the housing, and then with a multimeter, check the three prong electrical connector that plugs into the light. You'll need to have the ignition switch on to do this, to power the headlight circuit. Change from low beam to high beam, to test the circuits.

I'd imagine your headlight wiring is like this:
HEADLIGHT
RED with BLACK stripe, High Beam.
RED with YELLOW stripe, Low Beam.
BLACK with YELLOW stripe, the ground circuit.

If you're not familiar with how to use the multimeter, watch this video:
The best multimeter tutorial

If the electrical circuit checks good, use the multimeter to ohm check the filaments of the headlight bulb. Post back your results.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• Clabedan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 750 B
More
13 Mar 2014 13:16 #625063 by Clabedan
Replied by Clabedan on topic Headlight problem - hi beam ok but no low beam
Thanks will check this... Am i supposed to put the black strobe on the ground and the red one on low and high beam connectors? And check that there is any voltage?

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
13 Mar 2014 13:57 #625065 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Headlight problem - hi beam ok but no low beam
Your meter won't care if you reverse the probes. It will just give you "negative" values. Either way will work. The lamp just needs to see a "difference in potential". Good luck!

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

• Clabedan
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1976 KZ 750 B
More
13 Mar 2014 14:48 #625067 by Clabedan
Replied by Clabedan on topic Headlight problem - hi beam ok but no low beam
Ok set my multimeter on 20v

Got 10 on high beam
0.07 on low beam

So I guess there is nothing much going through on low beam. Should I suspec the electrical connector or could it potentially be the red and yellow wiring feeding the low beam?

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
13 Mar 2014 15:12 #625071 by slayer61
Replied by slayer61 on topic Headlight problem - hi beam ok but no low beam
Wires don't just go bad... there is limited chance that the wire is the problem, unless it's broken in the middle. Connectors and terminations do go bad. If I was to guess... you have a faulty switch. Get into your shop manual and follow the path of the low beam circuit from source to the lamp socket. Prove or disprove the presence of voltage, and you'll find your "open".

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
13 Mar 2014 16:14 #625075 by MFolks
I'd open up the right handlebar switch pod, looking for corrosion, broken wire, or failed solder joints, as these older bikes are starting to show electrical problems. If you need soldering advise, post back, as I've got a repair procedure for this.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
13 Mar 2014 18:56 - 13 Mar 2014 18:56 #625091 by Patton
If not already done, would also check for corrosion or other malfunction in the dimmer switch

The dimmer switch receives battery positive voltage, and delivers the voltage to the headlight plug-in socket from the switch's high beam or low beam position.

Could spray some deoxit or other electrical connection cleaner inside the switch while flipping the switch back and forth.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 13 Mar 2014 18:56 by Patton.

More
13 Mar 2014 21:17 #625111 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Headlight problem - hi beam ok but no low beam
I'd bet on the dimmer switch. The light "on-off" switch feeds both filaments so it would knock out both hi and lo beams.

1979 KZ-750 Twin