KZ 200 charging system

More
09 Mar 2014 20:39 #624676 by gunner
KZ 200 charging system was created by gunner
Just wondering if anyone has had problems with their charging systems. I have been fixing up a '78 kz200 and the latest issue seems to be the battery holding a charge... or rather, it seems the bike is actually draining the battery after just some test rides. I haven't tested the stator yet, but I did have to replace the original flywheel as the magnet had been smashed.

KZ200
Toronto

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2014 11:51 #624722 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ 200 charging system
Here's a manual in case you don't have one.
home.comcast.net/~loudgpz/Kz200fsm.pdf
The following user(s) said Thank You: gunner

More
11 Mar 2014 18:01 #624882 by gunner
Replied by gunner on topic KZ 200 charging system
Thanks loud. I have the manual and have been going through the diagnostics ... I think the issue is the regulator not not the stator ... but the test in the manual has been a bit inconsistent ... my results rather. I think that the battery is too far gone, for one, but even after charging for 5 or 6 hours , getting it to 12.7 V or so, the load voltage never goes up. then after test riding for 20 minutes or so the battery is down to 11 or 10.5 V.

KZ200
Toronto

More
11 Mar 2014 19:24 #624904 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic KZ 200 charging system
You may want to get a new battery. If you do, be careful charging it. The charger should be 2 amps or LOWER. Charging at a rate higher than that will shorten the life of the battery. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Mar 2014 09:36 - 12 Mar 2014 09:41 #624955 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic KZ 200 charging system
If you get a new battery, try to get a SLA AGM battery. It's so much less hassle.
I get mine from Batterystuff.com.
Have you done the ohms test on the stator wires?
Other than that, it would just be the regulator/rectifier, or the wiring.

The wiring diagram shows it as a rectifier, and labels it a regulator, but I'm certain it's a combination unit. It's probably a 4-wire, single-phase, combo reg/rec, which you should be able to pick up cheap at OregonMotorcycleParts.com .
Last edit: 12 Mar 2014 09:41 by loudhvx.

More
13 Mar 2014 20:52 #625108 by gunner
Replied by gunner on topic KZ 200 charging system
yep ... regulator/rectifier was toast ... so new battery and r/r unit ... only problem was that the new r/r had an extra wire ... thanks to the forum though, someone had posted a similar question and apparently the brown wire from the r/r is the voltage sensor?? so I have attached it to the indicator flasher unit ... read that it just needs to be attached to something 12V that is only on when the ignition is on.
seems pretty good so far .... now if we could only get rid of this snow!!

KZ200
Toronto