'82 KZ550 Speedometer Question

More
05 Mar 2014 17:18 #624289 by Cruckel
'82 KZ550 Speedometer Question was created by Cruckel
I am having an issue with my Speedometer on my KZ and I thought I'd go to the pros and ask for some advice.

I have had the KZ550 for about 6 months now, and it has been amazing. I spent a few hours putting some TLC in on it, it turns heads. I took it for it's first group ride and after wards I noticed a weird ticking/whirling noise coming from the Speedometer. When it sounds the worst my trip meter jumps up by the one hundreds.

I have taken the cable out and checked the tooth on it, and it looks fine. It doesn't look like there is any wear or tear on it. My father thinks it maybe some a stripped or loose gear or internals, but I really don't want to tear it apart because I know they are a pain to put back together.

I guess my question is has anyone had this issue before? If it is a speedometer issue, should I try to fix it myself, or just replace it? Should I look for original, OEM, Aftermarket, or upgrade to the fancy digital. I'd love to stick with the stock look of it, but I know that may be difficult and expensive.

Any help would be amazing.

Attachment 2013-09-1820.14.30.jpg not found

Attached is a photo from the recent trip to Louisiana this past weekend.

Attachment 2014-03-0308.32.29.jpg not found

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
More
06 Mar 2014 05:58 #624330 by Grumpy Ole Artist
Replied by Grumpy Ole Artist on topic '82 KZ550 Speedometer Question
Pretty bike ! I would look at the cable...could try working some light oil down betwen inner/outer and see if it helps...might just need replacement...it's a normal wear item...and they don't cost much! (Lube the new one before installing!)

1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

More
06 Mar 2014 13:01 #624358 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic '82 KZ550 Speedometer Question
That is one sweet paint job. Please post some photos in the 550 gallery when you get a chance, if you haven't already.