Strange front blinker problem?

More
03 Mar 2014 18:42 #624080 by 74ullc
Strange front blinker problem? was created by 74ullc
The front left blinker on my '77 1000LTD is not acting right. Only one of the two filaments in the 1157 Bulb is doing all the work. The same filament that is lit when headlight/running lights are on is also the one blinking. (goes fully dark between blinks) It blinks very slowly and at opposite time with rear blinker. = Front lit, back not lit, and takes a long time to switch back and forth.

On the right side one filament stays lit and the other one does the blinking. (so blinker never goes fully dark) Right side blinks quickly and strongly and in time with the rear blinker.

With headlight/running lights off the left side blinks just fine, just as fast as the right side and front and back are in time, but switch the headlight/running lights on and back to the weirdness.

Any ideas on what to look for that would cause this? I did try switching bulbs from left to right side to eliminate a bad bulb. But thats as far as I got with it. Seems like a strange problem to have. I'm pretty sure its been like this since I got the bike, but not 100% on that. I knew about the issue last year but had forgotten about it until yesterday's ride.

Got the bike out for the first time this year yesterday, bike fired right up and ran great. Got a little wet on the return leg but bike needed the dust cleaned off anyways. Now after that little front its right back into the 30's again (Gulf coast!!!)....talk about a good winter! Cant imagine what you guys up north are going thru!

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
More
03 Mar 2014 19:14 #624083 by gd4now
Replied by gd4now on topic Strange front blinker problem?
Check the ground .

1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

The following user(s) said Thank You: 74ullc

More
14 Mar 2014 19:49 #625212 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Strange front blinker problem?
Finally had a few minutes to look at it. Yup, the little ring terminal for the ground wire on the blinker body had come loose. That's all it was. Thanks for the tip!

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
14 Mar 2014 19:54 #625214 by Pacemaker
Replied by Pacemaker on topic Strange front blinker problem?
I'm glad you go that sorted, my 81 LTD doesn't even have blinkers on it, beautiful bike btw(avatar picture)

1981 KZ1000 LTD
2001 ZR750-H1

More
15 Mar 2014 13:09 #625302 by 74ullc
Replied by 74ullc on topic Strange front blinker problem?
Thanks Pacemaker....

The blinkers were off the bike when I bought it, guy I bought it from was stripping it down to bob it, thankfully he decided to sell it before doing any damage!

Here is a better pic of the bike. Since this pic I have removed the highway pegs, got OEM clamps for the airbox tubes, put the correct clutch handle on it and a few other things here and there. I'm wanting it to be as correct/original as possible.

This pic actually makes the bike look mint doesn't it, its not mint, has some dents and dings here and there, but it's still pretty good.

Gulf Coast, Texas
1977 KZ1000LTD
1984 VF700F

More
15 Mar 2014 18:34 #625335 by Pacemaker
Replied by Pacemaker on topic Strange front blinker problem?
lol "damage" my kz1000 ltd is "bobbed" and mine didn't come with blinkers either, I was hardcore thinking about putting aftermarkets on mine, and as for the dings and dents those are just battlescars and character, keep at it man she is an extremely beautiful bike

1981 KZ1000 LTD
2001 ZR750-H1