No Spark '83 KZ1000

More
01 Mar 2014 17:32 #623781 by RedLeader
No Spark '83 KZ1000 was created by RedLeader
I bought the bike running and it started giving me issue with the idle. I adjusted the main pilot screw and there was a backfire into the airbox. I took the carbs off and cleaned what needed cleaning and replaced what needed to be replaced but now I have a hose coming off the carb assembly (not a synch hose) that I can't find a place for. Just decided to throw that in there in case it has something to do with the no spark situation. I have ngk plugs that worked before the fire and new plug wires that were tested to work. I bought used ignition coils that were advertised as tested and working.

Now that all that crap is out of the way, here is the question. What else would be causing my bike to not start? When I put the key in the lights come on and when I hit the ignition switch the bike turns over and fuel is present, but it isn't starting. I deleted the stock airbox and went with pod filters instead. Sorry if this all seems jumbled, but I've been racking my brain over this and cannot come up with an answer. Hopefully someone can help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Mar 2014 18:15 #623793 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic No Spark '83 KZ1000
oh boy. Putting pod filters on in the middle of this has introduced a bunch of New variables. To work properly with pods, the carbs must be taken apart and new jets installed. At this point it would probably be best to reinstall the stock air box and filter until the other problems are solved.
Are you 100%sure there is no spark from any plug? Test them to be sure. If there really is no spark, it could be the kill switch is in the OFF position, a solder joint or wire is broken, a connector has come loose, the battery is weak, or the coils are bad.
FIRE :ohmy: What burned?
The extra hose could be the vacuum line to the peacock or the fresh air system, or an overflow hose. Are the other vacuum ports capped?
Take a deep breath and approach this systematically, one thing at a time.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough
The following user(s) said Thank You: 650ed, RedLeader

More
01 Mar 2014 18:19 #623795 by JimB
Replied by JimB on topic No Spark '83 KZ1000
OK, I would start with two things,...

To check the spark pull the plugs and lay them against the engine while still connected to the coils and see if you are getting spark from the coils. Minimally pull one from each coil. Make sure the spark plugs are arcing to the motor, they need a discharge path.
To check the gas,...you might have a petcock with a diaphragm that needs vacuum to open and allow gas to flow. This might be where the extra line goes that you cannot figure out. It would connect from a vacuum, carbs to the petcock. You might have one or two gas lines from the petcock and a vacuum line to pull open the diaphragm. Or you might have one gas line and a vacuum line. I am not sure of what years were installed the vacuum petcocks. Or you could put the petcock on pri and the gas should flow to the carbs. Pull one of the lines from the carb side and make sure gas it flowing..

1978 KZ1000A2, 1980 KZ1000E, 1980 KZ1000B4 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: RedLeader

More
10 Mar 2014 15:02 #624744 by RedLeader
Replied by RedLeader on topic No Spark '83 KZ1000
So I pulled a plug from each coil and I saw that the brand new plugs i had installed were burnt black. I replaced them with older plugs I had pulled out before (not ideal, but the bike ran with them. i only replaced them because I usually replace plugs and wires on vehicles when i get them) and I have spark. next step is to put some gas in the tank and see if it'll flow. Thank you guys for your help this far. hopefully good news will follow soon.

More
12 Mar 2014 17:16 #624997 by RedLeader
Okay, so I've put gas in the tank and it looks (or rather smells) like there is NO gas flowing. The vacuum line is connected between the carbs and the petcock. I have what looks like a crankcase breather open on the bottom and the air hose going to the vacuum switch valve open. I looked at the manual again and it looks like the line going nowhere is a carb vent hose (sounds sketchy to me).

The troubleshooter in the manual says that in the case of a no fuel flow, i should check the following:
-no fuel
-fuel tap turned off
-tank cap air vent obstructed
-fuel tap clogged
-fuel line clogged
-float valve clogged

There is fuel, the tap is turned to the on position and the fuel level in the float bowl reads right about the gasket line, and the fuel line is new, I would imagine if there is fuel present in the float bowl there must not be an obstruction in the fuel tap.

I'm not sure if there are lines that need to be rerouted when swapping in pods or if I'm over-thinking the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks Guys!

More
12 Mar 2014 17:35 #624999 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic No Spark '83 KZ1000
I agree with TexasKZ. Put the airbox back on and try to troubleshoot the other problems. Given the fact that you didn't rejet for pods, I'm not surprised the bike has a problem. I may be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you made several changes (coils, carb setting, pods, etc.) without testing the bike between each change. It is much better to make one change then test the bike to see if the change hurt anything before making more changes. Otherwise, you introduce so many variables that troubleshooting becomes a nightmare. If you insist on using pods at least get the bike running first before putting them back on so you have a fighting chance of finding an acceptable jetting/tuning combination. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
12 Mar 2014 17:47 #625001 by RedLeader
I can't put the stock airbox back on because it melted pretty bad with that fire.