kz750 twin stater clucth not engaging

More
16 Feb 2014 22:24 - 16 Feb 2014 22:26 #622509 by fastidiots
kz750 twin stater clucth not engaging was created by fastidiots
Ok. So I get this 76 kz750 and when you try the starter it spins but the starter clutch isn't catching to make the engine turn over. One time when i hit tried it it did turn the motor but I had too weak of a battery in there and it barely turned. Since that one time though I have gotten nothing but free spinning starter motor and have been forced to use the kicker to attempt to start this bike (which sux cause its been sitting for a few years and so I'm still trying to diagnose a fuel problem) Would like to get some idea what I will be looking for before I crack into it. Thanks

82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1
Last edit: 16 Feb 2014 22:26 by fastidiots.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Feb 2014 10:00 #622547 by Topper
Replied by Topper on topic kz750 twin stater clucth not engaging
The starter clutch was a big weak point on this bike. I've struggled with mine (and so have lots of others). If you do a search on starter clutch you should find loads of info in the forum. Chances are you've got a broken spring in the starter clutch.

You can pick up a rebuild kit which consists of some little springs, end caps and rollers.

www.z1enterprises.com/ItemDetails.aspx?i...f1300&item=ZKA22-004

You need to take apart the left side of the bike. Sprocket cover, generator cover, etc. You'll need one special tool called a flywheel puller which is basically a big reverse threaded bolt that you use to muscle the flywheel off. It's also available through Z1 or on ebay.

The procedure is outlined pretty well in the service manual.

Permanent and perpetual noob.

1979 KZ750 Twin
2009 Kawasaki Versys
The following user(s) said Thank You: fastidiots

More
17 Feb 2014 14:37 - 17 Feb 2014 14:40 #622572 by steell
Replied by steell on topic kz750 twin stater clucth not engaging
If you don't want to buy the flywheel puller, the rear axle should work.
It's not a big deal to get to the starter clutch, it's mounted on the back of the flywheel/rotor.

The bolt that holds the flywheel/rotor on is left hand threads (reverse threaded), The puller and the rear axle are right hand threads. There are two different sets of threads in the flywheel, look inside after you remove the flywheel bolt and you'll understand.

KD9JUR
Last edit: 17 Feb 2014 14:40 by steell.

More
17 Feb 2014 22:01 #622629 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 twin stater clucth not engaging
The KZ twins forum had some good threads on removing the 750 twin starter clutch. You need a giant flat blade screwdriver to hold the flywheel while you crank on the bolt. The tip of the screwdriver goes in the hole in the flywheel and the end of the screwdriver goes in the frame studs that mount the footpeg.

You'll want to blue Loctite the flywheel bolt going back on (clean threads of all oil).

make sure the starter clutch housing isn't warped or cracked.

Getting the flywheel to let go can be an ordeal. I used the rear axle as mentioned above. Mine has a hole drilled in it. I put a rod through the hole and used it for cranking and beating. When it finally let go it sounded like a magnum went off.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
18 Feb 2014 03:15 #622639 by fastidiots
Replied by fastidiots on topic kz750 twin stater clucth not engaging
Thanks for the info! Will have to tear into it soon. In the mean time, got the fuel mostly sorted, and she is now a 1 to 3 kick starter. Should be a one kick once I get the carbs dialed in.

82 KZ1000 J
76 KZ750 B1