Adding heated grips to my kz440, too much draw?

More
24 Nov 2013 06:35 #613971 by delta 224
I'd like to add heated grips to my kz but I am wary about overdrawing current with the stock lighting system. How can I figure out what is too much? And is here something I should do if I add the grips to make sure they don't suck down power when not needed?
www.amazon.com/Tusk-Grip-Heater-Kit/dp/B...78/ref=pd_sbs_auto_4
I am thinking about using this kit

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2013 09:41 #613988 by martin_csr
Replied by martin_csr on topic Adding heated grips to my kz440, too much draw?
Any idea what the max draw is in amps? Does your bike have an accessory fuse box?
JakeWilson has a couple of installation links, but I didn't see mention of the power requirements other than that they are 12V. A TWTEX forum topic from several yrs ago indicated that they were between 36W & 48W or approx 3-4 Amps (I have no idea if the product is still the same).

Installation note from the TWTEX topic: if you can use the kit, you'll probably want to insulate the heaters from the handlebars so that you won't lose too much heat to the bars - either electrical tape or heat shrink tape.

More
27 Nov 2013 11:25 #614228 by fitscott
I have Polly heaters on 2 of my bikes and am very happy with them - the PH400 kit is for motorcycles and they make a PH300 for atvs and snowmobiles - they draw 3 or less ampshttp://www.pollyheaters.com/ph15.htm