ignition parts

More
12 Nov 2013 07:16 #612860 by Schmeck
ignition parts was created by Schmeck
Where would I find replacement springs for my kz750 twin ignition advancer ? Was messing with it this morning and noticed that it was very easily opened . Springs not as tight as they should be . Or is there a way I can hit my springs ( out of bike) with a torch and get them to shrink slightly ?

1979 kz750 twin -Soon to be roadworthy
1988 El250 engine in custom hard tail frame - collecting dust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2013 07:43 - 12 Nov 2013 07:44 #612865 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic ignition parts

loudhvx wrote: I've been able to restore a little bit of the lost preload on the springs by just barely squeezing one end loop on each spring. This just makes the springs a tiny bit shorter... almost unnoticable to the naked eye, but the timing light shows it made a difference. I've done this probably to every bike I have and most of the other KZ's I've come across needed it too. Most have the advance coming in a bit too early. In bad cases it jumps around at idle.

Oh, and yeah, I've looked everywhere to find new ones... NADA.

Source thread:
www.kzrider.com/forum/4-electrical/40483...r-spring-woes#404924

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 12 Nov 2013 07:44 by Patton.

More
12 Nov 2013 13:27 #612899 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic ignition parts

Schmeck wrote: Where would I find replacement springs for my kz750 twin ignition advancer ? Was messing with it this morning and noticed that it was very easily opened . Springs not as tight as they should be . Or is there a way I can hit my springs ( out of bike) with a torch and get them to shrink slightly ?

I have the 750 twin and had the same problem. I ended up going to Orcharg Supply and finding the springs closest in size (wire diameter and a little extra length) and made some. was not easy, but possible. Runs WAYYYY better because the loose springs screws up the advance range by letting the weights fly out at idle. So instead of a 0 - 30 advance range, I only had 15 degrees range. Had to either set the ignition way to fast at idle or have too little advance at high RPM.

making the springs was hard because the wire is so thick, but it's possible to do. You want them set up so ther is just a tiny bit of tension to hold the weights in at idle.

1979 KZ-750 Twin