kz750 not holding charge

• photobrandon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Nov 2013 16:48 #612087 by photobrandon
kz750 not holding charge was created by photobrandon
Hello All,

I just recently finished my build of a 76 KZ750b Twin fitted with a kick and electric starter. The weird thing is, after the first few days of riding it, i let it sit for a day and the battery seemed completely drained. There was not enough juice for the electric start, but it kick started just fine. After riding it for an hour or so, I tried the electric starter again and it cranked right up. So my question is, it it possible for the 750's of that year to run without a battery? I'm thinking it could be a bad stator, regulator/rectifier or the battery just might be bad. Has this happened to any of you before. Advice?

Thanks in advance.

-B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Nov 2013 19:08 #612105 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic kz750 not holding charge
Go to www.electrosport.com , find their troubleshooting page. It should cover testing the charging system of your bike. Also have the battery load tested after first getting it fully charged, as it may have a cell on two shorting out.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
05 Nov 2013 00:08 #612119 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic kz750 not holding charge

photobrandon wrote: Hello All,

I just recently finished my build of a 76 KZ750b Twin fitted with a kick and electric starter. The weird thing is, after the first few days of riding it, i let it sit for a day and the battery seemed completely drained. There was not enough juice for the electric start, but it kick started just fine. After riding it for an hour or so, I tried the electric starter again and it cranked right up.

It's either a bad battery or you have some kind of drain sucking the battery when the key is off. Turn it off and check the current drain with an Amp meter.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
05 Nov 2013 00:46 #612121 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic kz750 not holding charge

bountyhunter wrote:

photobrandon wrote: Hello All,

I just recently finished my build of a 76 KZ750b Twin fitted with a kick and electric starter. The weird thing is, after the first few days of riding it, i let it sit for a day and the battery seemed completely drained. There was not enough juice for the electric start, but it kick started just fine. After riding it for an hour or so, I tried the electric starter again and it cranked right up.

It's either a bad battery or you have some kind of drain sucking the battery when the key is off. Turn it off and check the current drain with an Amp meter.

what is the correct procedure for this? I been wanting to check mine also.

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

More
05 Nov 2013 04:15 - 05 Nov 2013 05:01 #612129 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750 not holding charge
The battery itself may be failing to hold a charge, or there may be a current drain while the ignition switch is turned OFF.

To determine whether the issue is the battery or current drain, may just remove one of the battery cables to a fully charged battery, and if the battery dies in a day or so, it's likely due to self-discharge.

Where a good fully charged battery is dying while the ignition switch is OFF -- may use an amp meter, or low amp bulb (such as ½ amp).

Remove the negative battery cable, then connect the meter or bulb between the battery post and the negative cable terminal.

There should be no current flow with the ignition switch off.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 05 Nov 2013 05:01 by Patton.

More
05 Nov 2013 05:02 #612133 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic kz750 not holding charge

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments: