New solenoid wires are different colors but why???

More
01 Nov 2013 11:43 #611820 by pnedac
Got a new starter solenoid. The original was yellow/red and a black and the new one is yellow/red and a RED. This is a direct replacement and looks identical except for the color of the one wire. Does the red wire go to the black wire from before? I would imagine so, but just checking to see if anyone else has run itno this in the past.

Any help is appreciated.

Pnedac

78 KZ650 B

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2013 12:23 #611821 by OnkelB
The solenoid is a really simple layout, a winding with a movable anchor inside. When you press the start button, current runs through the windings and the anchor moves. The upper end of the anchor has a metal bar attached to it, when the anchor moves the bar contacts the bottom of the lugs and closes the circuit between the battery and the starter motor. When you release the start button again the anchor (and bar) pulls back and the circuit is interrupted.

I believe it will work connected either way, but I would start hooking it up the way you describe: black to red and red/yellow to ground. If it works you're fine, if it doesn't just reverse the wires, you can't fry anything.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.

• slayer61
  • User
  • KZR FLAG RELAY CARRIER #62
More
01 Nov 2013 12:35 #611823 by slayer61
Just to add to the confusion :S a coil doesn't have polarity. It will work either way. All it needs to see is a "difference in potential" across the two wires. I've been telling people for years... " Electricity doesn't care what color the wire is! "

Don't be ridiculous! It's only a flesh wound!

[strike]Wife's little bike... 1984 GPZ 550 Kerker and DynaJet stage I kit[/strike]
Wife's BIG bike......[strike] 1981 GPZ 1100 Kerker and [strike]factory FI[/strike] Mikuni RS34s W/ K&N pods[/strike] SOLD

More
01 Nov 2013 13:24 #611833 by Patton

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
01 Nov 2013 14:02 #611840 by pnedac
You guys are fantastic! Thank you kindly for your input and I will do my worst!

78 KZ650 B

More
01 Nov 2013 22:22 #611877 by loudhvx
For some reason, Kawasaki chose really poor colors for the starter solenoid on many KZ's. They put the black wire as the positive, and the yellow/red wire as the ground. I think this was a result of choosing black as the wire color for the clutch lever interlock switch.

I usually swap the wires around so black is ground and yellow/red is positivie, without any issues.