Kickstart only KZ1000st

More
30 Oct 2013 08:53 - 30 Oct 2013 09:13 #611598 by Jur
Kickstart only KZ1000st was created by Jur
Since two days I'm the proud owner of a 1979 US model KZ1000st. The bike needs a lot of attention but there is the comming winter for ..... Major problem is the bike won't start electric in the morning. Battery is new (VARTA YB-16-B, 19 Ah) and the startermotor spins perfectly. So I use the kickstart and the bike runs in one or two kicks !!! Direct after stopping she starts electric, wait fot 5 minutes and she won't. But again one kick and running. Any suggestions ??

Jur
Delfzijl
the Netherlands
Last edit: 30 Oct 2013 09:13 by Jur.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Oct 2013 09:12 #611600 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Kickstart only KZ1000st

Jur wrote: Since two days I'm the proud owner of a 1979 US model KZ1000st. The bike needs a lot of attention but there is the comming winter for ..... Major problem is the bike won't start electric in the morning. Battery is new (VARTAYB-16-B, 19 Ah) and the startermotor spins perfectly. So I use the kickstart and yhe bike runs in one or two kicks !!! Direct after stopping she starts electric, wait fot 5 minutes and she won't. But again one kick and running. Any suggestions ??

Jur
Delfzijl
the Netherlands

Would suspect an imperfect new battery, and have it load-tested, because it seemingly isn't holding a full charge.

Would also assure there being a good ground connection where the negative battery cable attaches to rear of the engine.

And also check for any current being drawn from the battery when the ignition switch is OFF.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
30 Oct 2013 10:23 #611607 by koolaid_kid
Replied by koolaid_kid on topic Kickstart only KZ1000st
I agree with Patton (he knows all, BTW). What may be occurring is the starter is drawing down the voltage to the coils due to the enormous current draw of the electric starter. You could also check the voltage at the 12V terminal at each coil to see if it drops while the starter is engaged.

1983 GPz 750
810 Wiseco, Kerker, K&N, DynoJet S3, Accel, Progressive, etc.