Charging system

More
23 Oct 2013 22:50 #610979 by Schmeck
Charging system was created by Schmeck
Hello, I have an issue with the charging system on my 79 kz750 twin . Basically my lights get really dim after a few minutes of running the engine until it cuts off . It will run great hooked up to a charger and will run for a good amount of time if I run it fully charged but I shouldnt have to hook it to the charger every other ride like some electric bike . What goes bad in the charging system that I need to address , not sure where to start . -Shmeck

1979 kz750 twin -Soon to be roadworthy
1988 El250 engine in custom hard tail frame - collecting dust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2013 23:19 #610981 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Charging system

Schmeck wrote: Hello, I have an issue with the charging system on my 79 kz750 twin . Basically my lights get really dim after a few minutes of running the engine until it cuts off . It will run great hooked up to a charger and will run for a good amount of time if I run it fully charged but I shouldnt have to hook it to the charger every other ride like some electric bike . What goes bad in the charging system that I need to address , not sure where to start . -Shmeck

Would first assure good ground of the black wire from the regulator, which connects to a black/yellow wire going to battery negative.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
24 Oct 2013 11:47 #611032 by Schmeck
Replied by Schmeck on topic Charging system
it seems to be grounded pretty good . What should i be reading from my battery . When it was running I had around 17 volts and reving it up it jumps between 19 and 20 on my meter . Is this high or low ?

More
24 Oct 2013 15:31 #611043 by byars
Replied by byars on topic Charging system
I just had the same issue on my GPZ street bike the regulator/rectifier was dead.. changed it last week.

Z1 Car tire conversion dragbike (SAM WILLS)
81 Gpz (84 1170 motor)

More
24 Oct 2013 15:59 #611047 by Beaner242
Replied by Beaner242 on topic Charging system
Mine is about 14 volts when idleing, and does not move when revved. 17 seems awfully high at idle. Im going to go with regulator also.

1982 KZ1000K LTD Chopper

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Oct 2013 16:19 #611051 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Charging system
Don't replace anything just yet.
You have dim lights, and the battery is dieing on you but you have 17+ volts at the battery?
If the Battery is old, or bad, get a new one first. If you have 17 volts accross the battery, then you should have 17 volts running through your lights and Ignition. Then they would be really bright, and most likely blow the bulbs at least. But with things dim, and a battery not charging, sounds like you have a wiring issue, maybe a bad battery also.
Use your wiring diagram to make sure of the connections from the battery to the regulator/ rectifier assy. If yours is a 6 wire R/R, what is the voltage at the Brown wire compared to the battery voltage at key on? Less than .5v difference? If it sees a drop here, on the voltage sensing wire to the R/R it will make up that difference and overcharge. With a big voltage drop in your electrical, you will experience the dim light condition also. Start with the basics, and test with a meter to find the wiring problem first, and get the battery checked and replace it if needed. You need a good battery for the system to work correctly.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Oct 2013 18:37 #611069 by Schmeck
Those readings were with the bike running with only running light at rear . After a few rides or long ride the battery will wine down and eventually become dim . This low voltage makes the bike run slow and ruin the spark plugs. Yes my lights are extremely bright which will hopefully keep people from making an eraser out of me :) Battery was brand new about a month or two ago . Had it replaced when I was taking everything apart . Heres a question bugging me . On the white regulator connector there are two yellow wires and one black wire in the connector . Now coming out of the Harness or side is only two yellow wires . No third black wire . Hard to believe that there isnt a black to black wired connection here .

More
25 Oct 2013 10:13 #611114 by Schmeck
Okay so I turned all my lights on and tested the battery and I am getting 14-15v at idle and 17-18 at high rev which Is alot lower . I switched out the black wire connector with a better one and will see if that was the issue